Skip to main content

Another Chevrolet C60

More
1 year 8 months ago #237962 by Mrsmackpaul
They weren't good at stopping in the beginning so this could be interesting
Fit a alternator off a Jap diesel 4x4 like a Hilux or LandCruiser, they have a vacuum pump on the back of them for power brakes

The C60 already has a big vacuum tank so this should be a fairly simple modification to get vacuum to work the power booster

To change to full air brakes will be a big job, all new axles front and back, might be a good result and worth the extra work as this old Chev stuff was always pretty hard to get in Australia even when the they were new
Even the wheels are Chev special

Changing the axles opens up a big variety of options including diff ratios as the C60 was very slow by today's standards and putting 6v53 is gunna make it even slower

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedbullC60

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #237971 by Vic Rhodes
Replied by Vic Rhodes on topic Another Chevrolet C60

How you going with the C60 resto redbull,
I recently acquired a C60 and plan to fit a v653, gotta work out how to stop it now.

I sincerely Hope You have a certified Engineer advising you On your Project...!!!
Would be a shame to do all that Work, & finish up with an Expensive piece of Garden Art..!!

More
1 year 8 months ago #237972 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Another Chevrolet C60

How you going with the C60 resto redbull,
I recently acquired a C60 and plan to fit a v653, gotta work out how to stop it now.

I sincerely Hope You have a certified Engineer advising you On your Project...!!!
Would be a shame to do all that Work, & finish up with an Expensive piece of Garden Art..!!

Type of deal to get registered first and then start doing the mods on the quiet
Or at least thats probably how I would do it

Probably bad advice

Paul

The following user(s) said Thank You: RedbullC60

More
1 year 8 months ago #237997 by Steve L
Replied by Steve L on topic Another Chevrolet C60
Some very good advice there thanks Paul. If I wasn’t swapping a petrol to a Detroit I would prolly keep my mouth shut, but as you know when one hears a Detroit coming he has enough time to down a beer or two before it gets there. So I’ll use an engineer.

Simplest way is the Nissan alternator, but adapting the chev gearbox handbrake to a 610RR will be problematic. Be nice to get C65/70 spider axles from the states then it would be close to original but haven’t had much success negotiating with the US.

Keep plugging away Redbull it will come together sooner than you think. I like the look of the C60 and as you know not many about.
Fortunately mine has hardly any rust and the body is straight. Who did you deal with in the states as I’m looking for another step tank for the left.

Steve

More
1 year 8 months ago #238003 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic Another Chevrolet C60
Hi,

I have split this chat about another C60 out into its own thread from www.hcvc.com.au/forum/restore/20084-1975-chevrolet-c60

There are still some references to the other thread but try and keep the posts about each vehicle separate.

Terry

More
1 year 8 months ago #238007 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Another Chevrolet C60
Steve

I put a Nissan alternator on a 1942 GMC 6x6 that I had added a vacuum assist brake unit to. It worked as good as a modern truck in normal circumstances but going down a long hill it could not keep up and the brakes slowly reverted to manual only. Normally going down hill with the old manifold vacuum system it just gets better and better with the throttle closed on over run.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe

More
1 year 8 months ago #238015 by RedbullC60
Replied by RedbullC60 on topic Another Chevrolet C60
There called RAYBUCK Auto body repairs Steve, Easy to deal with and freight was super quick.

More
1 year 8 months ago #238039 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Another Chevrolet C60
Was thinking today, yes I know I shouldn't

I reckon I see plenty of rusted out ACCO's going for next to nothing, find the right one would get you spiders, S cam breaks and a decent diff ratio

Paul

More
1 year 8 months ago #238044 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Another Chevrolet C60
When I was looking into vacuum issues on Lorry I'm sure that an electric vacuum pump was mentioned so no need for the alternator exchange.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
1 year 8 months ago - 1 year 8 months ago #238063 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Another Chevrolet C60
Sorry put it on wrong thread. Lots on Ebay. Just thought that on a rare occasion you are being towed with a dud engine, or park on a slope overnight and lose your vacuum or just want to roll back in the driveway any type of engine driven pump requires a short time to be effective but turning the ignition on with an electric pump gives you full independent power brakes from the very start.

Just another brilliant thought. How much better it would have been at the drive-in on a wet Melbourne night without brake lights going on and all those Holdens idling for the whole movie just to keep the wipers going. If the wipers on any vacuum system vehicle had an electric pump they would actually keep going when climbing a hill.

Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 180wannabe, cobbadog, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.561 seconds