Skip to main content

Waltzing Matilda Jet Powered truck

More
13 years 10 months ago #30433 by Old AB
Hi all, got a call from an old mate of mine in Tassie. He is trying to find some missing pieces to get Matilda back to its former glory. Truck is complete,( been used as a primemover carting Bees) and they have found the jet engine, but cant find the cradle that mounts the rolls royce to the truck chassis, or the fibreglass shrouds of the engine.. Was told that the previous owners of Matilda sold it off as parts. New owners are willing to buy them back if they can find any of them. Any information on Matildas missing bits Please Phone Ewan Stephens 0418134057.............. Would be great to see a truck with that much history put back to its former glory. Just trying to help out.... ;)

Keep old inters alive.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #30434 by werkhorse
Ya beat me to it Tony they had a piece in the paper here the other day. have you seen my post on here about W/Matilda?? From memory ....and don't take this as gospel..........the previous owner was from perth (tas) and got into some money trouble. There was a story about him burying the truck but it later came out that he striped it.

You probably know who it was...he lived just short of perth between Devon hills turn off and Gibbit hill.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
13 years 10 months ago #30435 by Old AB
Hey Werkhorse,,, Yes i do know the two chapps.. the second from up Burns Creek way cobbs. I think the one your thinkin of was last spotted in Lightning Ridge, Opal mining. The Stephens Family trucks have always looked imaculate. They had a1956 F600 towing a single axle trailer, They would still have it im sure. Ewan and his dad loved ford trucks, That was something you noticed when you seen them on the road. Always neat and tidy.....

Keep old inters alive.

More
13 years 10 months ago #30436 by werkhorse
That F600 has been done up and was given to Ewan's ol man they did a piece on it in the same edition of the Examiner. Looks bloody sweet too.

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
13 years 10 months ago #30437 by Aussiehooker
RECAR built matilda and would proberbly still have some details of original designers and the men who worked on it ray kernigan lee's father owned matilda when i worked on it and ray would have some details i think he is still going they used to live at albury don

More
13 years 10 months ago #30438 by Old AB
Thanks Don. Im lead to believe that one of the original builders of the truck is working with them on the restoration.. Thanks for the tip mate....

Keep old inters alive.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #198166 by The Moth
Hi all, is this thread still alive ?
Does anyone know if they got it completed – I know western Victoria would love to see it return to where it set the world record just outside of Wycheproof – (it was 40 years ago , today) ..
I believe the Tasmanian owners still have it – but in what condition ?
any ideas ..

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by IHScout.

More
5 years 3 months ago #198167 by Gryphon
Hi,

I read up on it on a website about 6 months ago and it was still a working truck for the Bee farm and they were still looking for the bits to restore it.

Terry

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 3 months ago #198170 by Swishy

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
5 years 3 months ago #198171 by Lang
I am sure they have talked to Ron Laycock at Bauple about finding bits. Looks like a different motor.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.589 seconds