Skip to main content

INT 6 Cyl 281 motor question

More
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #64337 by oldbob70
G`Day
on any 281 282 with alternator Negative earth on that vehicle
Oldbob
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by oldbob70.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #64338 by MMKNJL
Hi All

On the earth polarity, except for one very early Datsun the only vehicles to have positive earth would have had to have an english design system mostly Lucas I dont think Bosch or Delco Remy ever did it that way, But do stand to be corrected.
ps the reason for it, was that by flowing electrons from positive to negative it would help reduce body corrosion,
dont think it worked very well but.
However do stand to be corrected again though.
Cheers max

Max

12 years 6 months ago #64339 by
Replied by on topic Re: INT 6 Cyl 281 motor question
Some of the AB inter's are positive earths. But the C series are the next range of trucks. And I would be very surprised not neg earth. Especially if alternators are fitted.

It is possible to change a simple vehicle like the AB to neg earth. My AB is. Just changed the wiring to the coil and I have fitted an alternator! :)

More
12 years 6 months ago #64340 by Capitano1300
Hi onetrack, would you also happen to know what diff and ratio etc, and could it be swapped for say a ford 9 inch??

cheers mate

JT

12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #64341 by
Replied by on topic Re: INT 6 Cyl 281 motor question
I have an undated C-1300 spec sheet .. which I suspect is around 1966, and it states that the C-1300 is fitted with a 35 amp alternator and is negative earth.

Capitano1300 - The CM1300 series Inters are fitted with a model RA-15 rear axle rated at 6,600 lbs (2994 kgs) capacity, and it is 4.30:1 ratio.
I see no reason why a Ford 9 inch can't be fitted, many rear axles can be modified to suit other vehicles. However, I doubt that the Ford 9 inch diff would have an equivalent load capacity to the RA-15. I suspect it's less.

The RA-15 is a full floating rear axle with axle diameter of 1-33/64, which is approximately 39mm. I don't have a ring gear diameter for the RA-15, but I'm sure the ring gear is much bigger than 9 inches, more like 11 or 12 inches. The RA-15 is a heavy duty truck rear axle, it's not a toy axle.

You could fit a rear axle from an F-350, which has a load capacity equivalent to the RA-15, if you were seeking a ratio higher than anything available in the International range.
However, you would then end up with non-matching wheels and hubs, as the Ford uses the peculiarly Ford, "coined" wheels.

More
12 years 5 months ago #64342 by Capitano1300
Hey guys hope you all well, the build is coming along nicely, and we are really starting to see the light hahaha, longlong way to go but!
Anyhow, does anyone know if I can pop in a thermostat in my 281, as have taken off the radiator and looked inside the inlet valve and cant see one? Also what kind of thermostat could fit?

cheers guys

JT

More
12 years 5 months ago #64343 by fxs80
'Day JT I think I have seen them pop up on fleabay from time to time usually sold by (no connection)
Wagga Tractor and Truck Parts, could give them a try
;) Gary

1939 D2

More
12 years 5 months ago #64344 by Capitano1300
fxs80 - Gary mate you are spot on - ive got one on the way - thanks again mate :)

More
12 years 5 months ago #64345 by tonym
I have a Stromberg to fit a 281 IH. Needs a full service, but the truck was running with this carb fitted. I also have the original oil pot air cleaner to fit it. $100 And its yours.
Complete with linkages and bolts, gaskets.

If you can't afford a Dodge

More
12 years 5 months ago #64346 by invested energy
An original generator system would be positive to earth but can easily be changed over. As mentioned virtually no one ever made a positive earth alternator.

From what I have found the ra15 axle could be had with around 6:1 gearing for a truck with 20" wheels but the vast bulk like mine were 4.88:1 on 16" wheels. This is referred to as the " 50mph" diff which means it's doing around 3500RPM. Some of the "newspaper vans" were optioned with 4.3:1 gears known as a "60mph" diff. If you scrable under the truck with a wire brush and look at the pumpkin, directly above the pinion there will be a raised casting number and below that a stamped ratio.

It took me a long time to find a 4:3 diff, and now I have a .85 overdrive joey box, whith a .82(?) T34 overdrive gearbox my old girl will do 80kmh @ 1500rpm. The perkins will push her to about 2100rpm on the flat and that's about it... 110kmh.

I know a dude who installed a 3.55:1 Land Rover diff center in his original housing with an adaptor ring. Neither it or the resplined original axles are very durable though.

I allways wanted to see if a 9" center could be mated up to the housing but they arent acually round like the inter diff center, and I never even offered one up for a look as far as axle spacing etc.

Maybe look at a jap truck diff, and front axle for the better brakes and matching wheels, and then power steer and then bugger it you may as well just put your body on the jap truck and now you've done that... the list is endless;)

Have fun in any case

cheers

AB

for when I'm not driving the car of the century...

Time to create page: 0.529 seconds