Skip to main content

International Harvester AA110?

More
12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #70173 by MLC Mid Life Crisis
I have just purchased what I believe to be an Australian 1959 - 60 AA110 ute and need to clarify the exact model and date but where do I find the relevant info?
and I have added pictures to assist actual identifictaion

s1080.photobucket.com/albums/j323/Pooch5...urrent=otherside.jpg
i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j323/Pooch5600/th_motor.jpg
i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j323/Pooch5600/inside.jpg
i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j323/Pooch5600/front.jpg
i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j323/Pooch5600/front.jpg

Kind Regards&&Clive&&&&... and to think "I was taught to be cautious&qu
Last edit: 12 years 3 months ago by MLC Mid Life Crisis.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

12 years 3 months ago #70174 by
MLC

Welcome to the forum

With your pictures if you copy the IMG file name you get this.

Trevor

More
12 years 3 months ago #70175 by Coupeute
Your right with the early AA. They seemed to have a carry over grille from the AS. The later AA's had a steel mesh grille. In the US they were called A & B models. These were the last model to resemble their American counterparts.

AL110 inter ute &&FC Holden Wagon&&HJ Holden 1 Tonner&&

More
12 years 3 months ago #70176 by MLC Mid Life Crisis
once the unit arrives here in WA (6 days and counting) and i have the chasis no is there a listing to compare against on the net to ascertian the exact year, so I can order parts etc.
and is there a good and reliable source in Australia to purchase parts for these?

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #70177 by
MLC - There's no listing that anyone has put on the net that provides info on chassis/engine numbers on Australian-built International trucks, as regards build date.
You might be best advised to try and track down the original purchaser, as you do have a number plate to start with. If you find the original purchaser, or one of their relatives, they may have some info.

You won't find any "one-stop-shop" for parts for these vehicles, they are utterly and totally obsolete, and part of the fun process of restoration is trying to source practically non-existent parts.

Wagga Tractor keeps a supply of basic mechanical components for these trucks, but the small stuff is non-existent, and you have to repair, scrounge parts from wrecks, and try and find .. and sometimes modify .. modern components.

Don't throw anything away until you can be sure you have a replacement. The likes of rubber components can usually be sourced from companies such as Industrial Rubber Supplies in Briggs St Welshpool, and Clark Rubber stores. Flat glass sections can be supplied by Viridian (formerly Pilkingtons).
Windscreens are very hard to find, you will have to try all the windscreen crowds to see what your chances are.

The Australian-built Inters are different in many areas from the American-built Inters, as Australian-built components were used.
The engine is an Australian-built "AGD" (Australian Gold Diamond), built entirely in Australia, and it will have an engine number starting with AGD.
The American engines are merely "GD" (Gold Diamond), and they have different block casting, and different accessories. The U.S.-built engines use Holley and Carter carburettors, and Delco-Remy electrics.
The Australian-built International engines use Stromberg carburettors and Lucas electrics, and from around the late 1960's they use Australian Bosch electrics.

You definitely have an AA-110 model. The letters in the model code stands for "Australian A-line".
The AA-110 was available in two wheelbase lengths, 114", and 126" (2895mm & 3200mm). It was powered by the AGD-240 engine.
The 114" model came from the factory with 6.50 x 16 tyres and the 126" model came with 7.00 x 16 tyres.
The AA-110 had a carrying capacity up to 19cwt (hundredweight), or 965kgs. It used a semi-floating rear axle.
Its slightly bigger brother, the AA-120, had a higher carrying capacity of 26cwt (1321kgs) and this model had a "full-floating" rear axle.
The full-floating rear axle can be quickly identified, as it has a large protuding hub in the centre of the rear wheel.

Basic mechanical items such as seals & bearings are available from most bearing supply places. Engine rebuild components are generally available from engine replacement parts suppliers, via the major manufacturers such as Clevite and Federal Mogul.
Noordeman Diesel in Welshpool are a fairly helpful place for engine components.

eBay is a very good source of parts, and you may have to import some parts from America.
That missing glovebox lid will cause you a great deal of grief .. these are missing from nearly every old Inter, and they are nearly impossible to find. You may have to fabricate one.
"Binder Planet" is a good Inter forum, and an Australian by the name of "Mister-Fixit" (Paul Schultz) is a very knowledgable Inter man.

Good luck, you have a real classic there, and with a complete, unmolested, Australian-built ute body, that's a real find. Most of those ute bodies have been destroyed by hard work and rust.

Cheers - Ron.

More
12 years 3 months ago #70178 by MLC Mid Life Crisis
Thanks for the info Ron.

Does anyone know someone who has a complete AA110 service manual that can be professionally scanned so I can get a digital copy of the manual

Regards
Clive

More
12 years 3 months ago #70179 by bparo
Don't throw out the Holley Carby if you have one as onetrack's explanation is not quite correct

My AR and another Member's AS Inter's are running Holley Carbys and they are listed in the AR parts manual and the AR maintenance manual for the ASD (Australian Silver Diamond) motors. I also believe they are listed for the AGD Motors for the AB series so it would be plausible for it to be fitted to yours

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #70180 by
Bparo is on the ball. A quick double check of the manual shows that the AGD-240, as fitted to the AA-110, is fitted with a Holley model 2110 carburettor.
The larger AGD-264 and AGD-282 engines were fitted with Bendix-Stromberg model BX carburettors.
I did say, not to throw anything away, until you've found the replacement for the item you're looking for.

I don't have an AA-series manual, they are hard to come by, in good shape. I do have an AB-series manual, about 98% of which is applicable to the AA-series.
The major changes between the AA and AB series were the sheetmetal in the doors, the cowl, the mudguards, the grille, and the bonnet .. as well as the headlights being slanted in the AB series.

More
12 years 3 months ago #70181 by MLC Mid Life Crisis
Thanks for the info
Can you tell from the pictures which carby I have?
Regards
Clive

12 years 3 months ago - 12 years 3 months ago #70182 by
You have a Holley 2110 fitted. This following site sells the manual for the Holley 2110 .. carburetor-manual.com/holley-model-2110-...ir-manual-p-633.html

Cheers, Ron.

Time to create page: 0.516 seconds