Skip to main content

Wanted: Pre 1987 4cyl truck with min 21ft tray or clean chassis

More
6 years 4 months ago #188798 by Lang
Very nice restoration.

Have you actually weighed the unit? The whole aircraft with fuselage, engines, wings, landing gear and all systems only weighed 12-13 tons.

If you can verify a lesser weight it would make your search a lot easier.

A good carrier would be one of those extended chassis VW or Ford light trucks used for swimming pools and water tanks. Nice low cargo bed height, cheap to run and like a car to drive.

Lang

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #188829 by Claire
Cheers guys,
Swishy, I can’t use a drop bed trailer as the intakes are 2.7m wide, so they sit over the guards.
Lang, yes I’ve actually been told it weighs more, but it weighed in at 3450kg on its sled when loaded at the docks, so I’m guessing 3000kg is about right.
Swishy, my 3rd option is a roll-off 1982 Hino FF177, which I could put in historic if it’s any good. Going to see it Monday, so any pointers/opinions most welcome.
Lang, would I need to put it over the pits under the new regulations as a new buyer, or would it’s age and historic Reg application exempt me?
Cheers

More
6 years 4 months ago #188831 by Lang
In Qld at least, vintage truck reg only requires an initial roadworthy. Most car RWC inspection stations can do up to 16 tonnes. No pits or Main Roads inspection at any time. I presume SA might be similar.

Lang

More
6 years 4 months ago #188836 by atkipete
At 2.7 metres wide you are a bit over width .

More
6 years 4 months ago #188837 by Claire
No, the tray would be 2.5m max, so with the extra 150mm overhang allowance either side, it should just come under AB load restraints.

More
6 years 4 months ago #188843 by busman
Just don't go past Frankston station !!!!

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.

More
6 years 4 months ago #188883 by atkipete
I don't know the rules on oversize loads but you may need to have signs front and rear. Swishy is our guru on such matters.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 4 months ago #188896 by Swishy
Atkipete
Not sure of your statement :lol:

maximum width is 2.5m (unless U B runn n a low loader or a house float with rows of 8 tyres per axle then U B allowd 2.7m in width
to run ovr 2.5 in width U need a permit, red flags front n rear sign, if the over width bit B less than 500mm in height U need dazzle boards to mark out your protrusion plus + + restricted hours of travel (peak Hour Traffic etc)
Well th@ could/Would/should B Victoria regulations
evn qik boats need to comply

http://heritagetrailers.com/sites/default/files/styles/slideshow_full/public/heritage_mti.jpg?itok=fMBvSF-o

cya

§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #188926 by jeffo
That's one flash half cut you got there.
It might be 9' at its max width but how high, doesn't look more than 7'.
Perhaps some sort of tilting trailer similar to Swishy's speed boat?
Thinking back top the late 60's early 70's, I remember a mobile display set up in a Queen St Brisy. bank.
Was it this cockpit?
There was a nasty looking multi-barrel cannon with the display as well.
At the time Aus. had placed orders for the F111's but due to delays the Phantoms were leased for quite some time.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by jeffo.

More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #188944 by Claire
Hi Jeffo,
It only stands about 2.2m at the rear, so yes heights not a problem.
Transport problems been solved though, as I bid on and won the Hino yesterday, so roadworthy booked for Tuesday and ship docks Thursday.
Plan is now to build a demountable cradle for the cockpit so that I can still use the truck for other jobs, such as carrying my K2 long distances when she’s finished.
The Hino was a pantec, but had curtains removed to carry tyres, so I will just remive the canopy and possibly use that as a paddock shelter for my tractor.
Pictures will obviously follow in due course

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Gryphon. Reason: photo display

Time to create page: 0.530 seconds