Skip to main content

Army Semi Trailer Wanted

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #195580 by Lang
I am hoping to restore a WW2 International with a trailer to travel from Alice Springs to Darwin for 75th WW2 anniversary.

Any leads welcome.

Trailer preferably round front but square style would be OK nearly all built by McGrath.

Any K, KS or KB with Spider wheels needed to complete the outfit.

Lang
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #195601 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Army Semi Trailer Wanted
In case I can't find a genuine WW2 trailer I would look at any 28/30ft strap trailer.

Lang

More
5 years 8 months ago #195613 by 235mack
Replied by 235mack on topic Army Semi Trailer Wanted
Lang, If memory serves me correct ,I seem to remember that Western Traders had an add in Just Trucks for a round nose trailer. Might be worth a phone call .

More
5 years 8 months ago #195614 by Lang
Thanks for that.

I am going past them on Friday and will drop in.

Lang

More
5 years 7 months ago #195666 by Tacho
Replied by Tacho on topic Army Semi Trailer Wanted
Lang, when I was working with Blazeaid near Hamley Bridge (SA) rebuilding fences etc after the Pinery fire there was a round front single axle semi-trailer in a shed that had burned. Whether it is still there and useable I don't know.

Geoff

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #195668 by Lang
Thanks Geoff

Getting a few leads. I have 4 on the list now although most are at a distance the recovery is more than the value of the trailer. A fully complete unit would be worth it but a $2,000+ new timber deck, new tyres, brake system then still have to construct the drop sides is what I am finding at present. As time draws closer (have well over a year before the Alice Springs/Darwin convoy) my financial pain threshold may rise to go further afield. Looking at one near Tamworth next week.

Something will turn up.

Here are a few more photos to help with identification.

Lang

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #195700 by Lang

I am starting to find a few International K5 and KS5 to look at but they are all tray trucks. It seems the chances of getting a prime-mover are slim (even prime movers would have been converted to tray in the day)

I am sure to need a vacuum brake hand-piece. Does not have to be off an Inter, any unit will do the job. Any leads much appreciated.

The top one shows the "advanced" style with adjustable balance between trailer and prime-mover foot pedal as required and the original drawing shows the simple hand-only trailer operation

Attachments:

More
5 years 7 months ago #195701 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Army Semi Trailer Wanted
Years ago,I bought a big lot of vacuum brake stuff off Telecom,they converted all their gear to air when the ADR 35? rules came in.....I though it was junk,until a crowd from Toowoomba offered me a fortune for the new stuff....found out why,the big ribbed vac tanks like the picture cost hundreds each....same with the big vac mechanical chamber units.I d still have plenty of the old hand controlls,if I looked....You d also be needing the vacuum inverter/breakaway valve setup for the trailer,unless its all there on the trailer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
5 years 7 months ago #195702 by Lang
John

Anything you could come up with would be welcome.

Lang

More
5 years 7 months ago #195705 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Army Semi Trailer Wanted
That old knee breaker foot and hand control takes me back.
Everyone wanted air brakes although the early air foot/hand control wasn't much smaller.
Vacuum pipe sizes were massive too.
Our first trucks had single line air/hydraulic trailer brakes and the air hose was also quite generous. Westinghouse hand control. Yank it on and wait..........Just as slow to release.

Time to create page: 0.498 seconds