Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Army Semi Trailer Wanted

Army Semi Trailer Wanted 06 Sep 2018 17:43 #195851

• Lang
  • Lang's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2234
Paul

All the WW2 McGrath army trailers 3, 4 and 4a were quick release with wind-down legs.

Here is the turntable out of the McGrath Army manual 1945

There were two of these beside the old military vehicles but not the same as in the trailer manual. Any idea what they are?

Lang
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Lang.

Army Semi Trailer Wanted 06 Sep 2018 17:55 #195852

• Lang
PaulFH

There sure are a lot of nice trucks in USA of the type I am chasing. There were plenty of KB11 but I don't know if KB12 were ever brought to Australia (I saw a KB14 in Texas a couple of years back) but they would be a very desirable truck with that huge long bonnet.

thanks.

Lang

Army Semi Trailer Wanted 06 Sep 2018 22:21 #195856

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 362
i think the 1100cu in Hall Scott motor would blow your fuel budget pretty quick.

Army Semi Trailer Wanted 07 Sep 2018 11:41 #195862

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 648
Learning things every day Lang

The turn table shown doesn't match the army drawing

Im surprised that given the demands during the war they even mucked about with a quick release turn table

The drawing looks like its fabricated out of plate steel to me

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Army Semi Trailer Wanted 07 Sep 2018 11:58 #195865

• Lang
Paul

They had a QR dolly which fitted the army trailers. This, of course, meant it could be pulled by any truck. Being the army, all the trucks would have been overserviced so while the prime mover was in hospital the trailer could be kept working. I also think, particularly on the North/South Road a broken prime mover could quickly be replaced on the road and the load continue to its destination.

Lang

Army Semi Trailer Wanted 07 Sep 2018 14:39 #195867

• jeffo
  • Thank you received: 67
I'm surprised at that modern design of turntable for those years as well.
When you compare it to the complicated Scammel system with in-cab levers, couplers and folding landing gear, it's as simple as today's versions.
Our first Freighter strap trailer from the 50's had a QRTT but as she had no legs, it was only used once a year when we'd drag out some 44's and take the trailer off.
Was a similar design to the photo in the dirt. The air and electrics came up that big centre hole where they got tangled and sheared off regularly.

Army Semi Trailer Wanted 07 Sep 2018 15:59 #195868

• Lang
I think I will take the very neat and compact turntable that is currently on the dolly and fit it to whatever truck I come up with. It seems a quality cast construction as compared with the seemingly flat plate design of the originals as Paul mentioned.

These all seem to be a better system for my purposes than the Freighter turntable I had on my truck back in the 60's which I recall often spun around making the pin miss the slot if you were trying to hook up on an angle or on uneven ground. No doubt the turning turntable gave a smoother and more stable turning action.

Lang

Last edit: by Lang.

Army Semi Trailer Wanted 07 Sep 2018 20:08 #195875

• PaulFH
  • Thank you received: 386
Lang, how would the 4-71 advertised by JOHN.K. go in a KB5 or KB6?
Have seen them fittted with old UD 2-strokes on the opal fields and
elsewhere. Just an idea. Good hunting, Paul.

Army Semi Trailer Wanted 07 Sep 2018 20:11 #195876

• PaulFH
  • Thank you received: 386
Sorry, it's a 4-53. My bad.
Still a chance? Paul.

Army Semi Trailer Wanted 07 Sep 2018 20:59 #195877

• Lang
Paul

If I go the "hotrod" road with the modern running gear I will cop enough flack from the rivet counters (and the military vehicle mob is infested with armchair warriors and experts) without advertising the fact from 3 kilometres away with a GM in full cry. I can always tell them a Perkins is just the original petrol with the big ends shot and noisy tappets.

An engine gearbox transplant into an old chassis would likely be more problematic than dropping a cab on a complete more modern truck.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.373 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558