Skip to main content

Commer slant petrol engine

More
5 years 1 month ago #199448 by Rootes75
Hi, I am in England and am just finishing a 10 year restoration of a 1950 Commer 5 ton truck with the 6 cylinder petrol slant/sloper engine.
We have a problem thought, we have found that the thermostat housing is fractured and cannot be repaired water tight.
Does anyone on the forum have a thermostat housing and a bellows thermostat that they would be willing to send to the uk?
If you have or know someone who has can you pm me?
Thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #199452 by Mrsmackpaul
Mate if you can post a picture of the housing just encase there are slight changes during production
I cant help you my self but Im sure someone on here can

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
5 years 1 month ago #199475 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Commer slant petrol engine
hello Rootes75, welcome to the Forum.
When I was growing up, I was always told that the sloper engine was from a Humber Super Snipe, tilted on an angle to fit into the truck (lorry?) bodywork. Unless you know that to be untrue, have a look at the housing on a "Slumber Super Sleep" as my Humber enthusiast mate calls them.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
5 years 1 month ago #199478 by Rootes75
Replied by Rootes75 on topic Commer slant petrol engine
Hi, thanks for that.
The engine is basedon the Humber 6 cylinder engine but it has differences. The upright engine has a thermostat housing that turns 90 degrees, the sloper engine thermostat housing does not turn, its straight.
The same upright engine is used on the Q4 military Commers.

More
5 years 1 month ago #199483 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Commer slant petrol engine
I seem to recall there were two different slant 6 Commer engines ....one was a 45deg and the bigger one lay almost flat in the same Commer as Langs ..................I remeber a desperado with a petrol commer,he used to contract deliver phone books.........he bought the truck out of a back yard for $200,and somehow got it back on the road.............the pay for phone books was so bad ,he was on the dole too......till they caught up with him.

Time to create page: 0.441 seconds