Skip to main content

Looking for a front axle to match up with my Eaton #4 back end

More
4 years 7 months ago #202840 by ashmenz0
Hi everyone
I have a #4 Eaton in our 73 Denning. I'm looking for a front axle to match so I can have spiders on the front as well, therefore no need to carry two spares.
I'm in Moama, but happy to travel reasonable distance for a good one. Thanks. Ash

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #202841 by JOHN.K.
Your front will be a Rockwell.......just the spiders off a truck with the same axle will fit your stubs.............does your bus have the Denning airbag suspension?.......if so carefully check the front axle support fabrication for cracks ,especially in the chassis mounts for the arms......I worked on these for years

More
4 years 7 months ago #202874 by ashmenz0
Hi John
Thanks for your response.
It has all springs, no air bags.
How would I find matching stubs?
Regards
Ash

More
4 years 7 months ago #202876 by JOHN.K.
Hubs are what you want,does the axle still have the Rockwell plate?.........is that an old blue and silver Denning with a 6v71 in it,once belonged to Belsham?........if so ,it once had a Rockwell rear ,most worn out axle Ive ever seen.

More
4 years 7 months ago #202878 by ashmenz0
Thanks again mate.
It was originally Centralian tours. Not sure on previous but when we got it she had a Leyland 410 and six speed crash box, front mount.
Definitely had a Rockwell arse end until we transplanted it with the Eaton.
I can’t find any plate or ID on it at all.

More
4 years 7 months ago #202886 by ashmenz0
Thanks again mate.
It was originally Centralian tours. Not sure on previous but when we got it she had a Leyland 410 and six speed crash box, front mount.
Definitely had a Rockwell arse end until we transplanted it with the Eaton.
I can’t find any plate or ID on it at all.

More
4 years 7 months ago #202899 by JOHN.K.
I was thinking a rear engine Denning.........must be earlier than 73........anyhoo,the front axle might be a Leyland......you can get adaptors that bolt to 10 stud ,and have spider wheel mounts.......there was a set pictured on this forum a few weeks ago........maybe on an Atkinson..........they were common on MANs for some reason.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ashmenz0

More
4 years 7 months ago #202901 by ashmenz0
Thanks John

My front axle has bungs on each side that I have to put a special liquid type grease in. Does this help identify what axle it might be?

Cheers mate

Ash

More
4 years 7 months ago #202904 by JOHN.K.
Picture would help,but does sound like a Leyland......Rockwell axles generally have simple sheet metal plugs in the king pin bores to keep dust out......also they never have hollow kingpins like leylands ,so need greasing top and bottom......Leylands, the grease runs down the hollow kingpin to the lower bearings.......a lot better made that a Rockwell ,for sure.

More
4 years 7 months ago #202915 by ashmenz0
Thanks again John

I'll get some pics at the weekend and post them through.

Cheers, Ash

Time to create page: 0.558 seconds