Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Looking for a front axle to match up with my Eaton #4 back end

Looking for a front axle to match up with my Eaton #4 back end 18 Sep 2019 12:14 #202994

• ashmenz0
  • ashmenz0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Photos attached. Apologies on the size

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Last edit: by ashmenz0.

Looking for a front axle to match up with my Eaton #4 back end 18 Sep 2019 15:23 #202995

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 230
Its an Albion FA 255/9?......8 stud ,so very unlikely to find an adaptor..........your best bet for a full air front would be a mid 80s 1830 or 1850 acco.........then the steering bits will have to be matched ,in such a way as its not obvious to a transport inspector.

Looking for a front axle to match up with my Eaton #4 back end 18 Sep 2019 16:08 #202996

• ashmenz0
Hi John
Thanks for that detail.
When you say steering bits, do you mean the connection of the draglink to the axle?
I had a new draglink made when I converted it to the Isuzu power steering unit.
Regards
Ash

Looking for a front axle to match up with my Eaton #4 back end 18 Sep 2019 19:02 #202998

• JOHN.K.
Theoretically (legally)Swapping an axle will need an engineers approval,but if you dont mind spending the money ,the steering shop should be able to fix all that up for you........what i was thinking is most Rockwell fronts have a large pad (2 actually) for the spring mounts ,which allows plenty of latitude for spring width and track......but on a used axle ,it means drilling more holes in the pads.....easily done ,but if a new beam is required by the engineer. ,you d be looking at $3000 odd ,just for the bare beam........If you have to get a new beam,then get the whole axle from one of the discount truck parts suppliers,probably lots cheaper than just a beam ...A mod plate will also be needed,if you go that way......myself,i still would go with some adaptors,even if I made them myself..(which I would do),,,,,incidentally ,do you know you can simply cut the disc out of your wheels,and use them on spiders......Ive even done it without dismounting the tyre and tube ,etc.,just a hose to controll heat.

Last edit: by JOHN.K..

Looking for a front axle to match up with my Eaton #4 back end 20 Sep 2019 11:41 #203023

• ashmenz0
Thanks again John.
So in effect I need to find the whole assembly as you suggested from a mid 80's Acco and install the spring set etc?

Looking for a front axle to match up with my Eaton #4 back end 20 Sep 2019 15:26 #203024

• JOHN.K.
Just given as an example of what you need......1.spiders,2 air brakes 3 dimensions.....you will have to check the spring width,and the distance between centre bolts......and dont try to just force the springs in or out to match up........if you dont have any access to engineering equiptment,I dont see it as being do able,unless you buy a whole new front......But ,a lot of bushies are artists with an oxy torch.....and here is a tip........with a used axle ,even if the kingpins seem tight,always note the two draw keys retaining the pins.........there should be a lot of the large end sticking out......if the key is driven right in flush with the beam eye,the axle is knackered,scrap.....Sleeving is also banned,dont get a sleeved axle,for more than $50
The following user(s) said Thank You: ashmenz0

Last edit: by JOHN.K..

Looking for a front axle to match up with my Eaton #4 back end 20 Sep 2019 15:33 #203025

• ashmenz0
Thanks again John
I have access to plenty of workshop gear and a couple of handy blokes.
Best way though is obviously to get something that fits.
I'll have to start crawling around under a few old Acco's and suss it out.
Cheers mate

Looking for a front axle to match up with my Eaton #4 back end 20 Sep 2019 15:44 #203026

• JOHN.K.
Im pretty sure the late full air 1830 and 50 have 4"wide front springs,your leyland looks like 3",from the pics........almost certain the beam will need redrilled.........if I was doing it,I would just plug the old holes and paint over them...........IMHO ,yearly vehicle inspections are done by car mechanics,who know diddly about old trucks ,and a bit of carefully placed dirt or grease works wonders..........I used to get cracked Hendriksons thru all the time ,by smearing fresh red grease on the cracks,looked like it came from the unis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ashmenz0

Looking for a front axle to match up with my Eaton #4 back end 20 Sep 2019 16:46 #203029

• ashmenz0
Cheers mate. I'll start looking around.

• Page:
Time to create page: 1.039 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558