Skip to main content

Aux joey box wanted

More
4 years 4 months ago #203659 by Lang
Aux joey box wanted was created by Lang
I need a stand-alone auxilliary overdrive gearbox to go on a 1941 Army Chevrolet 1 1/2 ton 4x4. Standard Chev 235 motor and 4 speed gearbox with separate transfer case.

I used a small auxilliary box off a Butterbox ACCO on my old KBS5 International and it works great. Now the new toy needs gearing up.

Any clues? Giant Mack joey boxes are not the go.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #203678 by grandad
Replied by grandad on topic Aux joey box wanted
Would something like this be any use?
chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/trans/55stsra/index.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
4 years 4 months ago #203684 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Aux joey box wanted
Grandad

That would be a good way to go. Only problem is the two speed axles give you a lower gear. What I need is a higher gear. I have a good two speed spare axle that would probably fit the Chev for my International KBS-5 but the high range is 6.33:1 which is considerably lower than the standard Chev diff. Maybe Chev produced a "highway" gear in the two speed, I will investigate further.

Thanks

Lang

More
4 years 4 months ago #203685 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Aux joey box wanted
Warn overdrives used to be made for all the old Landcruiser gearboxes before 5 speeds were around
Old Toyota's were a copy of US chev motors except the had metric bolts
Maybe gearboxes were copied as well

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang

More
4 years 4 months ago #203700 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Aux joey box wanted
Not too sure if it would too light but a Fairy Over drive from a Landrover may be worth looking at as well.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #203709 by Lang
All those Fairey and Warn boxes go on the back of a married transfer case (transfer bolted directly to the gearbox)

The Chev has the standard Chevrolet engine and gearbox like the normal 2WD truck then a jack shaft to the Transfer case under a cross-member well back. I will have to check but do not believe this transfer case can be added to with an overdrive unit. Therefore I need something to go between the standard box and the transfer case.

The best alternative of course is to stick a modern Borg Warner T5 overdrive 5 speed gearbox on and leave the rest of the drive train standard. I did this earlier this year with my Chevrolet 3/4 ton panel van I restored in USA then took to Normandy and it was outstanding. Only problem is although the T5 was on everything (Holden, Falcon, Jeep, Jaguar etc etc) you need one with a forward gear stick position off a Chevrolet S10 pick-up and not too many in Australia. Without that forward position the stick will come out under the seat in the truck cab.

Lang
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Lang.

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #206961 by Lang
If you wait long enough everything comes good.

Vitamin C has delivered the correct auxiliary box to Corowa for me to pick up in a couple of weeks at the Military Vehicle Show.

Thanks John

Lang

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #206962 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Aux joey box wanted
I had a look at that 2 speed Chevy diff, interesting application for a small (2 ton) truck, firstly,
What is a "task force" truck? Just a fancy name for a run of the mill vehicle?
I went through the specs/repairs shown, couldn't find any ratios for High/Low, may have missed them, but went back and couldn't find them. What size wheels/rims/tyres would they have been running??

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #206969 by Lang
I also could only find a .73 reduction which is a handy overdrive but without knowing what the initial ratio is it is of no use.

Lang

More
4 years 3 weeks ago #206993 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Aux joey box wanted
.73 is better than the .8 in the RR, may still look at fitting the Dodge joey I have (7231-D) which is .86 over and 2.14 under.
Certainly don't need the under but could do with some more reduction of revs at highway speed.
Which box did you end up with?
Cheers Steve

Time to create page: 0.502 seconds