Skip to main content

Wanted F350

• Allan Lane
  • Topic Author
4 years 2 months ago #205616 by Allan Lane
Wanted F350 was created by Allan Lane
Wanted tidy roadworthy seventies Ford F350 lwb or Chev C30 around $10000 to set up to tow a fifth wheel caravan.I am in NSW but will travel for right vehicle. Do not want a project thanks phone 0417480728 or email me your contact details

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #205618 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Wanted F350
Before you settle on a tow rig, check what it can actually tow.
I built a 1986 F350 and still trying to get a fifth wheel rating on it. The earlier trucks do not have a fifth wheel rating so can only tow the same as a standard draw bar. I my case 4.5 T. Later units have the rating and are no problem.
Cheers Steve.

More
4 years 2 months ago #205620 by Blackduck59
Before you go buying do your homework.
Earlier trucks do not have a manufactures fifth wheel rating so will be limited to the standard tow specs.
I built a 1986 F350 and still working on a fifth wheel rating. currently limited to 4.5T (standard drawbar rating)
Standard factory tow ratings vary a lot depending on the engine fitted, transmission and final drive ratio. For the 86 the heaviest factory rating is with a 460, automatic and 4.1 final drive, using a manual box drops about 1 T off the rating.
Cheers Steve

More
4 years 2 months ago #205622 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Wanted F350
Pity you didn't want to spend a bit of time tinkering a bit to get one up to roadworthy, had one (75 C30) listed on here 6 months ago for half what you wanted to pay.
Dave

• Allan Lane
  • Topic Author
4 years 2 months ago #205647 by Allan Lane
Replied by Allan Lane on topic Wanted F350
Thanks for that info but my fifth wheeler is only 20 foot long and tares just under 3 tonnes with an atm of 3.5 tonnes so should be ok ? yours sounds like it is larger and heavier than mine

More
4 years 2 months ago #205657 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Wanted F350
Allan, have had both the F350 and C30 here at different times. Unless you can get a SWB version and they are around, you may have to settle for a LWB . Seeing as you would probably have to strip the tub or tray off it anyway, to fit the extra frames for the fifth wheel. I know a few blokes here in Vic who were going to do much the same, take an earlier model truck and have it converted. Found it easier in one case ( my bro in law) to buy a vehicle already certified in another state (Qld in this case) and have the rego changed to Vic but still had to have the full roadworthy. Just saying......

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #205677 by Blackduck59
This is for mid 80's F series and you can see how much the original driveline affected the final capacity. Point of interest my tare is 3T and has an absolute lousy turning circle. Another little trick with these US vehicles is their 10,000 Lb rating makes them 4535 Kg which puts you into the next drivers license class. Their is provision in VS6B for an administrative derating.

Cheers Steve
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Blackduck59.

More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #205682 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic Wanted F350
Hi,

this is an F250 for sale a few streets away from me in Melbourne north eastern suburbs. The badge on the side says it swallows 5.8 litres.

If you are interested I can go back and get the phone number and maybe take a better picture. It is neat and tidy on the outside, even when he was using for work, but it has been for sale for about 12 months I reckon.

Terry
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Gryphon.

More
4 years 2 months ago #205683 by 600Dodge
Replied by 600Dodge on topic Wanted F350
Good luck to anyone who tries the "administrative derating" option.

More
4 years 2 months ago #205686 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Wanted F350

600Dodge wrote: Good luck to anyone who tries the "administrative derating" option.

What is the problem with derating? Was the first thing that came to mind and thought it would be ok. I often read on a caravan forum how they go the opposite way with the vehicle and have it rated higher or the van lower so they can pull the guts out of the vehicle and thing they did well.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Time to create page: 0.477 seconds