www.pickles.com.au/trucks/item/-/details...Dog-Trailer/22111489

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213354 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Little dog trailer
At a casual glance could be a Freighter Baby Quinn. Was designed more as a farm or market garden trailer rather than a highway trailer.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213358 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Little dog trailer
I think your right, would of been a plant trailer on road works
A lot of these trailers went to the likes of grain farmers to tow behind a 4 tonne Bedford or Austin

A good little trailer but I dont know you would want to tow them at 100 ks

Paul

More
3 years 8 months ago #213377 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Little dog trailer
The army had a lot of little four wheel Freighters ,used to get loads of laughs when the army drivers tried to back them ,and they jack knifed straight away......Saw one stuck ,the army guys from several trucks decided to unhook ,and manhandle it around ......seems they didnt know the brakes would come on soon as the airlines were unplugged......

More
3 years 8 months ago #213387 by mammoth
The Baby Quins didn't have air brakes, and possibly only over-ride on the rears, so the army ones must have been a heavier version.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213389 by JOHN.K.
Seventies ,80s....the ones I saw had Ford Cargo s towing them ......but Im sure Ive seen them towed by the 4x4 ACCOs....I didnt mention the jacknife happened because I jumped in front of the army truck ,pinching their spot ,and forcing them to back up.....which they couldnt do ......but if you ve ever tried to back up a trailer thats not as wide as the truck ,and you cant see in the mirrors.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213392 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Little dog trailer

mammoth wrote: The Baby Quins didn't have air brakes, and possibly only over-ride on the rears, so the army ones must have been a heavier version.

Baby quin must of ended up been a generic name for these style of trailers think

I have seen McGrath and Freighter with the baby quinn name plate, the ones I have seen have a cast plate with the name cast into it
Sometimes the plates on the back and some times on the front
Have seen them with what look to be original little balloon type tyres as well as at a guess 750 x 16 and the most common are 20 inch rims

All with baby quinn name plates

Freighter and McGrath were related as in trailer wise I believe

Someone on the forum many many years was writing a book about McGrath and we worked it all out and provided lota of info back then but I dont recall ever seeing the book

Paul

More
3 years 8 months ago #213396 by mammoth
The book is still available from HCVC. There was corporate shenanigans between Freighter and McGrath and at one point they were the same. The 'quin' name for the trailer was derived from the five versions it could be used ; flat; stake side etc etc

More
3 years 8 months ago #213418 by JOHN.K.
Last one I saw was parked at Amberley RAAF,when the sandblasters did the tanks there about 2008.....obviously unused ,and tyres half flat .......Cols son said he was going to buy one for on site use .......which was BS ,because the max spend on a site trailer for Col was $50......he used to buy old trucks with rusted cabs,and take off the cabs and put a towbar on the front.

More
3 years 8 months ago #213429 by Mairjimmy
Replied by Mairjimmy on topic Little dog trailer

Had a couple of Baby Quins and this one I converted to use as a fire trailer

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrsmackpaul, PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.515 seconds