Skip to main content

1960 Leyland Truck

More
3 years 1 month ago #219289 by Lang
1960 Leyland Truck was created by Lang
On sale in Brisbane Marketplace under above title for $1,500.

I think it might be a pretty rare model with that extended snout for any pommy truck enthusiasts.

Lang

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219315 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic 1960 Leyland Truck
The "extended snout" showed that it has a six cylinder probably the Austin 4 litre petrol, motor. It is a rare model out here, I have never seen one with such a long chassis and tray. It is probably a five tonner.

You would probably have to buy a whole second truck to get a replacement curved glass. I expect the glass from any size of Morris/Austin/BMC/Leyland truck with what the English called a "threepenny bit" cab would be the same.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
3 years 1 month ago #219319 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic 1960 Leyland Truck
Morris

A sheet of acrylic would be fine to bend into place for the curved glass. You can not tell unless you tap it and it is not going to break again like glass. Might have to change it every few years as it became scratched if not polished occasionally although aircraft windscreens can last 30 years if looked after.

Lang
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 1 month ago #219328 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic 1960 Leyland Truck
I think the longfront is a 5.1 Austin diesel......I will never see these as a Leyland ,they are a BMC at best,but at least the 8 stud one has the old 5ton Austin running gear........the 6 stud one is a pretty poor effort.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219329 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic 1960 Leyland Truck

JOHN.K. wrote: I think the longfront is a 5.1 Austin diesel......I will never see these as a Leyland ,they are a BMC at best,but at least the 8 stud one has the old 5ton Austin running gear........the 6 stud one is a pretty poor effort.

Agreed, calling them a Leyland is a stretch of the imagination. Just like the Leyland Mastiff with the 510 Perkins V8.

More
3 years 1 month ago #219330 by JOHN.K.
Hey....mines got a 640V8.......The fishbowl cab had its uses too,back in the day when there was a little factory in the basement of every city building.......The doors opened back fully in any laneway wide enough for the truck....and may city laneways were cart and 2 horses wide.......I recall one building in Ann St ,there was four factories under the building........including one that made cockroach poison ,rat poison ,licorice lollies (all the poisons used aniseed as bait),and something called coconut ice.....I loved the cocnut ice ,wish you could still buy it.....not made in a poison factory ,obviously.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
3 years 1 month ago #219332 by allan
Replied by allan on topic 1960 Leyland Truck
John.K.
Coconut Ice. I remember Mum making that (50s, 60s) for school fetes etc Lovely.
Can still get it, at least in Melbourne, where Sweet-As have a few stores; even on-line apparently.
www.sweetas.net.au/coconut-ice.html
Sunshine Confectionary in Maroochydore have it in 3kg packs:
sunshineconfectionery.com.au/fudge-cocon...conut-ice-3kg-carton

More
3 years 1 month ago #219339 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic 1960 Leyland Truck

Lang wrote: Morris

A sheet of acrylic would be fine to bend into place for the curved glass. You can not tell unless you tap it and it is not going to break again like glass. Might have to change it every few years as it became scratched if not polished occasionally although aircraft windscreens can last 30 years if looked after.

Lang

I would suggest Polycarbonite over acrylic, it is considerably less brittle than acrylic and could be put through three rollers get the curve right.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris, Lang

More
3 years 1 month ago #219344 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic 1960 Leyland Truck
OK, you have shamed me into looking at one of my two Morris reference books. I cannot find the other one.

That cab was officially called the"angle planning" cab but soon nicknamed the "Threepany bit" cab after the twelve sided English coin and was first used on the Morris FG truck in early 1960. The doors were "cut back" (angled) so that they projected only two inches wider than the truck. The range was re-named FG.K30 when production was moved to Bathgate in Scotland. Re-named again as 360.FG in 1968 when classification was changed from carrying capacity to gross weight. Austin versions were called "30 cwt S200 F/C." There were also larger versions up to the FG.K100 rated at five tons. The book says there was a choice of 2.2 litre petrol or diesel engines but does not mention the six cylinder engine which obviously was available in the larger models.

I used to love Coconut Ice (which i think was mostly suger and cocnut flavouring when I was a kid but it is too sweet for me now. That and the other sweet stuff my Mother fed me is probably the cause of my Diabetes now.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

More
3 years 1 month ago #219351 by JOHN.K.
They were always called fishbowl or acquarium cabs round here......and a lot had the lowset curved glass painted over ,or maybe replaced with sheet steel........

Time to create page: 0.496 seconds