Skip to main content

Thornycroft Nubian Fire Tender for sale

More
2 years 8 months ago #223078 by moonanpom
Thornycroft Nubian 6x6 Large Fire Tender (LFT). Rolls Royce B81 straight eight purrs like a kitten!
It is drive-able. Rear diffs need work. Unregistered. Can be driven onto a truck ( we have a loading ramp) This unit is powered by a Rolls Royce B.81 straight 8 petrol engine producing 225 hp which Thornycroft claimed enabled acceleration to 50 mph (80 km/h) in one minute!
Drive 6x6 (currently front wheel drive only
Located at Moonan Brook 2337 NSW Price $6,800.00 Additional "Donor" truck included if wanted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 8 months ago #223523 by JEFF5343
It appear it may have been driven in anger on a variety club charity bash, or similar?

More
2 years 8 months ago #223528 by moonanpom
yes, one to Birdsville, and one to Broome

More
2 years 8 months ago #223536 by overnite
From memory, they are overwidth, and can’t be registered in most states.

More
2 years 8 months ago #223537 by moonanpom
Overall width - 2.48m including mirrors, NSW limits limit 2.5 excluding mirrors

More
2 years 8 months ago #223545 by JOHN.K.
I recall a member of this forum had one he was just about giving away......and it had the three axles working......so I dont think this one will sell for more than scrap price.......There are two versions ...one has the worm drive back end ,one has the axles from an AEC Militant.....either way ,I wouldnt be keen on trying to find parts

More
2 years 8 months ago #223553 by grandad
This one has the Thornycroft axles, the heavier Nubian Major with the Cummins 903 had the AEC axles

More
2 years 8 months ago #223556 by Morris
JOHN.K It was me on the forum who was trying to sell one Nubian with the Aircraft Crash Tender body with a few parts missing, (radiator stolen) and also an absolutely complete Nubian with very rare factory cab. This one had done 7000 miles.
I tried several times on this forum, twice in Vintage Trucks & Commercials magazine and twice on eBay plus several mentions at HCVCA meetings, to sell them. The "winner" of the first try on eBay was from interstate and he ended up paying me $200 NOT to take them. The "winner" of the second time on eBay paid not much more than that but he was fairly local and owned a large tilt-slide tow truck. He quite openly told me which scrap yard he sold them to.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JOHN.K.

More
1 year 11 months ago #234319 by Batesnhousen
Hi, Just a quick question. Did you sell this to someone from this site? It has just been posted on Facebook in Queensland for $16,500? Did you sell it to a Tim?

More
1 year 11 months ago #234326 by Morris
I have forgotten the name of the person I sold them to. The day after the sale I saw them both on a scrap pile in the yard of the scrap dealer he told me he sold them to, in Pakenham Victoria.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Time to create page: 0.599 seconds