Skip to main content

WW2 collector Auction

More
2 years 1 month ago #231422 by lantana jack
Payload is a bit small to be classified as a truck, but….

www.lloydsonline.com.au/LotDetails.aspx?...id=29124&lid=3330112

“The improver of natural knowledge absolutely refuses to acknowledge authority, as such. For him, skepticism is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin.” Thomas Huxley
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveus6

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #231425 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic WW2 collector Auction
Cool little bit of gear, they seem to fetch good money these days

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
2 years 1 month ago #231458 by lantana jack
Replied by lantana jack on topic WW2 collector Auction
Fairly large auction. Looking through it there’s about 12 seperate auctions with every thing from anti-aircraft cannons, heavy machine guns, tanks, helmets, and all the other stuff used by a WW2 army.

www.lloydsonline.com.au/AuctionDetails.a...=29114&pgn=1&pgs=100

“The improver of natural knowledge absolutely refuses to acknowledge authority, as such. For him, skepticism is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin.” Thomas Huxley
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
2 years 1 month ago #231469 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic WW2 collector Auction
Collectors paying lotsa money too............Not me,a lot of this stuff ,Ive scrapped it in years gone by ,no chance of paying money for it.

More
2 years 1 month ago #231584 by lantana jack
Replied by lantana jack on topic WW2 collector Auction

Collectors paying lotsa money too............Not me,a lot of this stuff ,Ive scrapped it in years gone by ,no chance of paying money for it.

Bit of trivia…

Working down the Douglas-Daly back in the early 80’s I came across an old truck parked in the scrub on what would have once been a road in the 1940’s. Track had long since grown over and the truck had all the effects of the tropics and yearly fires though you could still make out S G Kennon written on the door. Apparently he were a builder or something that used to go out post war and collect all the stuff left lying around the WW2 camp sites. He musta got the truck bogged and never went back for it.

More
2 years 1 month ago #231590 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic WW2 collector Auction

Bit of trivia…

Working down the Douglas-Daly back in the early 80’s I came across an old truck parked in the scrub on what would have once been a road in the 1940’s. Track had long since grown over and the truck had all the effects of the tropics and yearly fires though you could still make out S G Kennon written on the door. Apparently he were a builder or something that used to go out post war and collect all the stuff left lying around the WW2 camp sites. He musta got the truck bogged and never went back for it.
Or he came across one better than what he was driving. :lol:

More
2 years 1 month ago #231599 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic WW2 collector Auction
Lang would know Ralph Cusak who took a semi to the territory around 1970 and collected all sorts of stuff...........they had a big squabble with someone in Dept of Defense over the stuff.........after that it just lay around for years at the old jam factory ar Zillmere........mainly big radial engines that were corroded and some burnt...........he also found a DC2 that there was a fight over........The Defence guys are good,never do anything them selves (except blow it up) when someone else collects it they want it back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

More
2 years 1 month ago #231605 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic WW2 collector Auction
John

With reference to Defence hoarding their old abandoned and unused things reminds me of a story told to me by an old retired WW2 pilot at a dinner.

In 1946 some keen young fellows decided they would hold a car race event on the old abandoned Strathpine Airstrip north of Brisbane (now a suburban street called Spitfire Avenue). It was such a success that they decided on monthly meetings, all reported in the Monday newspaper.

Our hero who was a junior officer was summoned into the Group Captains office and listened to a tirade about people trespassing on (abandoned) RAAF property. He said he tried to put up an argument that they were not doing any harm, the RAAF were never going to use the strip again etc but was leaped upon from a great height and ordered to go to the forthcoming meeting and remove the trespassers from the property.

The meeting weekend came and went and the Group Captain called our bloke in to the office.

"Well, Smithers, did you get out to Strathpine and remove those people from our property?"

"Yes and no ,Sir. I went out there but the race meeting continued"

"What do you mean! I specifically ordered you to remove any trespassers"

"Well Sir, there was only one of me and three thousand of them."

Although I am sure he had told that story many times he started laughing and before long the whole table, all ex-service blokes, was roaring with laughter as other people threw in hilarious (XXXX or VB?) comments.

Nice history of Strathpine which eventually came back to the thread topic of WW2 disposal.

forums.autosport.com/topic/212310-strath...acing-circuit-1950s/
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Time to create page: 0.469 seconds