Skip to main content

1966 Leyland Truck for sale (suitable for parts)

More
12 years 3 months ago #70966 by Chonners
Hi Gillo

Lang will take some photos (and I am assuming will share them) once he has visited the truck.

If you would like to discuss details such as the general condition etc send me an email (chantelle.hutchison@gmail.com) and I can provide a contact number. My father is the best one to chat to!

Cheers
Chonners

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 3 months ago #70967 by Gillo
Hi Chonners,
Thanks for your reply will send you an email
Cheers Gillo

More
12 years 3 months ago #70968 by mammoth
I might stand to be corrected on that build date as Mike from NZ tells me on good authority that the L prefix to the chassis No means that there was a local chassis modification (ie by importing country agent). I will check out further on build date letters.

More
12 years 2 months ago #70969 by Lang
Here are the photos of the Leyland. Not Lightning Ridge but a more remote opal field 70km west.

As described it is only for parts unless you are really keen. Chassis, cab etc are pretty good and rust free but quite a number of parts are missing.

There is a local crane and truck operator who runs to coast.

all enquiries to advertiser.

More
12 years 2 months ago #70970 by Chonners
Thanks (again) Lang

More
12 years 2 months ago #70971 by Lang
Just had three blokes from the Albion club in Scotland visiting. This truck is an ALBION! apparently these 8 wheelers are very rare anywhere in the world. Leyland put their own badge on them just before they shut shop on Albion.

These guys looked at the photo and immediately said the axles are unique to Albion as well as the chassis and other fittings up the front.

Whoever is looking for parts better think about restoring this one and not scrapping it.

More
12 years 2 months ago #70972 by clarkyinaus
Well that is amusing, I looked at this photo the other day and thought gee that looked alot like the cab and rear suspension on my old Albion.....but I figured that the badge doesn't lie and that all you fellas know far more about them than I!!!

More
12 years 2 months ago - 12 years 2 months ago #70973 by mammoth
The visitors might know their Albions but not Leylands which were built in another country (England). They also saw a heap of working Cameronians near Gunnedah and got over excited about them so probably hadn't recovered by the time they saw Lang. The rear hubs are indeed Albion, but they are attached to leyland axles, with 3rd diff in the front axle. If they were CA81 Albion Cameronians (which was effectively a Reiver with an extra steer axle) the power divider would be in a relay box amidships, and they would have 8 stud wheels. And it would have a 400 or 401 motor. The non reaction rear suspension was an Albion design but was used by both. The LAD cab was shared by Leyland/Albion/& Dodge, hence the abreviation. See my earlier post to explain the chassis No.
Last edit: 12 years 2 months ago by mammoth.

12 years 2 months ago #70974 by
....they forgot to be stood corrected ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

good on ya mammoth!!

More
12 years 2 months ago #70975 by AV801
Mammoth, please look at my flickr site and ... tell me more about FH640...? I viewed this Jan 2011, when I photgraphed it. The owner did not know the 'historic' side of it, but was great to talk with.

Cheers

www.flickr.com/photos/53717956@N08

Time to create page: 0.534 seconds