Skip to main content

Lister Autotruck for sale/swap

More
12 years 1 month ago #76307 by bparo
Yes it was once registered as a truck when it worked at Vic Market.

It is notionally 1949 but is made up of 2. The engine unit was used at Melbourne market, Vic Market (where it was registered as Vicroads know about it but won't give details due to privacy concerns >:() then back to the Melbounre Fruit and Veg Market. It then went to a market garden where it was left at the end of the field when they got sick of it being bogged and left it there.

As restoration started by the previous owner word got through about a chassis about to be thrown out at ACI Glass, spotswood. They wanted to keep the engine, gearbox etc as spares but if the trailer was closer than the scrap bin he could have it. As the original chassis was now more than a pattern due to rust the obvious fix took place.

I refitted the electric starter and got it working. I fitted up the generator but found the drive belt was going to hit my knee when I turned so I took it and the brackets off but they are included in the sale.

It is powered by a 7hp 2 cylinder air-cooled Lister Diesel. The gearbox is 2-speed forward and one reverse. The lights are there but I have not wired them up. It has all the optional electrics..

It has a fully environment-controlled drivers position - if it is hot so are you, if it is cold so are you, if it raains you are wet...

It runs, stops and has been displayed several times in it's working clothes.

Now it is currently in a shed in Echuca where I am listing it here for sale/swap. I want to get another small tractor and would consider something like a holder, ransomes crawler, gravely or even an early Yanmar or Kubota with a 3-point linkage which would be useful on the property in Winter.

Here are some photos

I also have some manuals, both original and in .pdf form that may be part of the deal if wanted

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #76308 by hoarder1
Does the Lister deliver good fuel economy, Bruce? I'm looking for a cheap reliable runabout to drive over to the next Alice Springs Hall of Fame reunion. What day would I have to leave to get there on the Autotruck? 8-) ;)

Collector and admirer of ye olde crappe.  I'm interested in researching and collecting old numb

More
12 years 1 month ago #76309 by ray
G'day hoarder, with you on the Lister and myself on the Straddle Truck we could have a convoy!

More
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #76310 by Andy Wright
No need to think too hard about it, hoarder, just leave the same day as Deadly. ;D

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by Andy Wright.

More
12 years 1 month ago #76311 by bparo

Does the Lister deliver good fuel economy, Bruce? I'm looking for a cheap reliable runabout to drive over to the next Alice Springs Hall of Fame reunion. What day would I have to leave to get there on the Autotruck? 8-) ;)

The fuel economy will vary with the size of the caravan you are towing but expect around 8 hours on the one-gallon tank.

It is actually rated to tow 7 tons but as the brakes barely stop itself downhills could be interesting to say the least

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
12 years 1 month ago #76312 by IHScout
I love the idea of a small procession heading to Alice with Deadly in the lead, followed by the straddle truck and then the little lister pulling a 22ft caravan. Someone's got to do it! ;D ;D ;D :D

Dennis

More
12 years 1 month ago #76313 by Bugly

I love the idea of a small procession heading to Alice with Deadly in the lead, followed by the straddle truck and then the little lister pulling a 22ft caravan. Someone's got to do it! ;D ;D ;D :D

... and on hot days the Lister can move forward and travel UNDER the straddle! ;D ;D

1948 Fordson E83W 10/10 pickup

More
12 years 1 month ago #76314 by bparo
looks like you have the plans all sorted out so who's going to buy it ;) :D

More
12 years 3 weeks ago - 12 years 3 weeks ago #76315 by bparo
Thanks to JBlair and AtkiPetes help the Lister is safe and dry(ish).

No it has not been sold but since that photo of it stored was taken a cubic meter of rock was moved into the shed then 1/2 railway sleeper garden edging laid to stop it sinking when the ground got wet.

Well the ground has got wet. On the property the dam in the front yard is now washing the back fence 180 metres away and it is likely there is water in the main shed. I don't know how deep but am hopeful it hasn't destroyed any magnetos or Mrs P's mobility scooter. No point going to look this weekend will take a look late next week when the water has receded enough for us to get in.

It is not river water but pure rain water. I have been given two sets of figures but basically once day was 50mm (or 75mm) which left a layer of water. It sunk in the following day and the day after there was another 100mm (or 125mm) which is not draining as quickly due to the ground being waterlogged.

The shed is on a mound more than 8 inches above ground level which gives you an idea of the problem.

Still reports are the water tanks and pool are overflowing and the water needs to rise another 2 steps to get to floor level of the house.

Anybody want to swap the Lister for an Army Duck or other Amphibious vehicle? ;)

Last edit: 12 years 3 weeks ago by bparo.

More
12 years 6 days ago #76316 by bparo
I know you guys will be amazed but I sold it tonight to an hcvc member who had been looking for one for years after seeing mine at the display day years ago. His dad was involved with them at the markets so he probably now has an autotruck his dad drove to go with his Dad's Commer truck. And he was happy to pick it up so I don't need to tow the thing back down to Melbourne.

Then after I sold it another person who I told about it before I put the ads up came up and said "I want to talk to you about the Lister". I don't think he as too impressed when I said too late!

Time to create page: 0.614 seconds