Skip to main content

1942 Mack NM5 for sale

More
11 years 3 months ago #102561 by daveus6
I have a December 1942 Mack NM5 gun tractor for sale (s/n NM8D2339). It is a rolling chassis with mechanicals in it, but the body is in kit form. Mechanically nearly all there - including 707cuin Thermodyne petrol engine and a spare with the hard to find bits on it. Needs complete restoration. Winch and PTO mostly there. Comes with original parts and service manuals. Full set of wheels including the 2 spares. Anyone interested?

I'll post pictures if there's interest.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #102562 by mammoth
Replied by mammoth on topic Re: 1942 Mack NM5 for sale
Dave, we need pics to get an idea of whats on offer, and location of the rig.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
11 years 3 months ago #102563 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: 1942 Mack NM5 for sale
Could/would/should look like thiz n

NM5 - open cab without slots on the hood. Tyres - 10,00-22. In 1942-1943, over 1000 trucks were produced

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
11 years 3 months ago #102564 by DragonWagon
Sound nice, really nice. What area?

More
11 years 3 months ago #102565 by kenny-mopar

More
11 years 3 months ago #102566 by DragonWagon
Very nice. Goes beyond everything on the road except petrol bowsers and from a nostalgic time when petrol was $0.05 per litre.

More
11 years 3 months ago #102567 by daveus6
Replied by daveus6 on topic Re: 1942 Mack NM5 for sale
I would like to post some pictures, but I appear to be technically challenged. Can anyone help out on how to do this on this site - first time - be gentle!

The truck is located near Lithgow in NSW.

According to my investigations, it was 1 of 86 that came to Australia during WW2. I have been able to track down 12 survivors. I know of 2 running in Victoria (including the one at Bandiana Army Transport Museum), 3 in NSW and 1 in QLD. The rest are essentially like this one - project material. The only one I know of that is in completely original condition is the one at Bandiana. The others may be running but most if not all are definitely NOT original in some way. Nearly all have the GM diesels still in them and most have non-original trays and either no winch or a non-original type winch. The winch is the hardest bit to find. The one I have is the correct body, but is missing the outrigger and capstan section.

It would have been used as a gun tractor primarily for 3.7" anti aircraft guns, 5.5" artillery pieces and even the 12 tonne 155mm "Long Tom" artillery pieces.

This particular truck was later sold to Transfield (though it has an EPT yellow coloured cab) and used as a winch truck to pull the HV lines in. The mounts on the chassis indicate this use rather than an earth borer which was their other use.

The reason I want to sell it is that it is just too big for my capacity right now. It is a big job, but all the parts are either there (but needing restoration) or could be fabricated. For anyone thinking of taking it on, the truck at Bandiana Museum is a must for reference and measurements.

Let me know how to get the photos onto the forum and I'll post them as soon as I can.

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #102568 by Andy Wright
Dave, have a look at this thread re posting photos.

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1170808619

Basically, you need to upload them to a free site and then cut and paste each photo's img address into a post here.

Andy&&&&Whatever rubs your buddah.&&&&Got Bedfords? http://bedfordtr
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Andy Wright.

More
11 years 3 months ago #102569 by DragonWagon
Deserves a good home. Lovely machine.

More
11 years 3 months ago #102570 by daveus6
Replied by daveus6 on topic Re: 1942 Mack NM5 for sale
Here goes with photos of the Mack
Here is the chassis with the engine. Note the original front bumper and towing attachment. Also original mudguards with anti-slip plates, headlight mounts (peculiar to the NM), and brush guard mounts. The engine turns over with a hand cranck, but I have not started it. The guy I bought it from said it was a rebuilt engine that Transfield had as a spare, but I can not vouch for the accuracy of this statement. It has the original air compressor mounted on it and I have a NOS updraft carby of the intake (hard to get!).

The chassis viewed from the drivers position. The original clutch and Mack 5 speed box are all there. I have looked inside the main box and the gears are all good (no damaged teeth or excessive scoring), but I can't speak for the bearings. The transfer case is also in place, but I can't say what condition it is in. I have the correct Garwood (actually Oldham - which was the Australian equivalent) PTO that mounts on the back of the top shaft of the transfer. Note original clutch and brake pedals (these were usually ripped out when the Maxi brakes were fitted). Also not some of the original brake lines are still in place. It is missing the hand brake unit and linkage as this was taken out when the maxi brakes went in.

The original diffs are in place with drive shafts. Timken double reduction up front and 2 x Mack top drive diffs in the rear. Their condition is unknown, but I suspect a full rebuild would be required for each one.

The cab has been modified to have the 6-71 GM diesel fitted. The fire wall has been chopped to fit the supercharger. Also the doors have been taken off and the gap partly filled in. I would suggest that if you could source a a good Mack NR cab, you would be able to fix this one as they have the same firewall arrangement and the doors may be able to be extended to fit the longer gap in the NM cab. Other than that it needs much of the military guages (which are available overseas as reproductions), rust repairs and some of the internal fixtures fabricated. Obviously the elctricals need to be completely renewed. These can be sourced from th UK as there are some NM in action over there (not many - they are pretty rare over there too). Worthing Canvas do the canvas for the cab as well as the cargo body. Note that the canvas support tilt is in place. I also have the electric trailer brake actuator for the cab (I have only seen this on the Banidana Mack). Many of the original data plates are in place on the dash.

The other images show the other various bits and pieces that are for the truck. The fron brush guard (which is slightly different for the NM5 than for the 1943 NM6) is there. The front radiator shroud and radiator is there. The bi-fold bonnet has been chopped around for the GM diesel. I would suggest the bonnet works from a NR made taller for the NM would be just the ticket rather than bothering with these ones.

The winch is in a non-original frame, but the guts of it are there - but it's condition is not known. The chain drive would need to be made.

Service and parts manuals are both in excellent condition and will prove invaluable in the restoration for the photos and drawings of the truck.

The spare engine has the mechanical governor, generator, viscosometer that are missing from the engine in the truck plus a spare carby!
Fuel tank is not original, but the mounts are.
the air tanks shown are original pattern. The original mounts are still in the chasssis.

The headlights are for the NM (they are peculiar in design for this truck). the cab floor has been chopped for the GM diesl, but has the original Mack accelerator pedal. I also have the original brake acitvation valve.

Lastly, I do have access to some of the steel parts for the cargo body, but they are not at my place, so I don't have any photos. The cargo body is not too bad to fabricate as it has the same steel components as a GMC or Studebaker 6x6 just with and extra tarpaulin bow station (6 instead of 5 in the Studey). All the timbers could be measured from the Bandiana body and made up to suit. The truck has a full set of 12 original wheels (2 spares mounted in the cargo body).

I am happy to go over all the restoration issues with any potential buyer that comes to visit. I am asking $4500 for the lot. Anyone seriously interested I am happy to give personal contact details if they furnish their email address. It really would be a magnificent beast if done properly - albeit slow and thirsty. I hope it goes to a good home.

Time to create page: 0.460 seconds