Skip to main content

Old truck photos

14 years 9 months ago #11177 by
Replied by on topic Re: Old truck photos
Story as told by George Gould.

Alan Hancocks White 3000 with the drums six high and three wide.
Was a dilliberate set up as the centre row of 16 drums were always full of Tallow and the drums were stacked to 6 high so that the truck could not fit under the awning at the MARULAN weigh bridge so he would be always waved through.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #11178 by Cunning Stunt
Replied by Cunning Stunt on topic Re: Old truck photos
Excellent!! ;D ;D

Some play hard to get

More
14 years 9 months ago #11179 by ianoz
Replied by ianoz on topic Re: Old truck photos
And these days ,they would stop and book you for being over height. ian.

14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #11180 by
A bloke by the name of Marty Fenwick has posted a heap of great truck pics on Flickr.com ..

Martys Grandad, one Fred Enchelmaier, drove NR Macks, logging for a mill in Redcliffe (QLD) owned by people by the name of Thurechts.
It appears that Thurechts owned several NR Macks, either bought new, right after WW2, or perhaps some as WW2 surplus. One of the NR's shows a "Diesel" badge, so that indicates a new civilian truck, as the Military Macks were all petrol powered, AFAIK. One is also shown on singles, which indicates it could be an ex-Military truck.
There's also a GMC CCKW353 pictured doing sterling service as a logging Prime Mover .. :)

Martys Dad, Jim Fenwick (who must have travelled with Fred), took a lot of pics of the NR Macks, and Fred, from the early 1950's, into the mid 1960's. These pics are superb, even though they are only B&W.

You can click on "all sizes" on the top left of the pic, and get the full size view, as Marty has downloaded the pics in a decent viewing size.

Interestingly, according to Marty, Fred drove the Thurecht Macks from 1949 to 1965, doing nothing but logging with them .. and he died in one of them. He loaded the Mack up one day in 1965, climbed into the cab, and then collapsed and died at the wheel, before he even took off. I guess that beats going out with a long-term sickness, lingering away in a hospital bed .. :)

www.flickr.com/photos/7863658@N07/

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 9 months ago #11181 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Old truck photos

JuanTrak
GuddayM8

Gr8 Link of ol pix

So this is where U spend all u're time
pervin on ol pics

LOL

Cya

[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #11182 by bigcam
Replied by bigcam on topic Re: Old truck photos

Stunnin
GuddayM8
Wot a gr8 load of pics
Australian transport in pix

RE: pull down door handles and KENWORTH script on the front

Our 1/2 truck twaz new in 72 n it twaz one of the 1st with the recessed down low door handles

the fully imported COE Kenworths had the Script above radiator
n also sum script jist above the step BLow the doors

LOL

now keep them Gr8 pix a cumin
Please

Thanx in advance

Cya

[ch9787]

Hi Swishy that cab over of yours is about the shortest I`ve seen,I can`t see any spring hangers on the back,has it got crowbars?This is a pic of one of my old ones,it`s from 1969,and currently resides down your way.
Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by bigcam.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 9 months ago #11183 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Old truck photos

Big C
Gudday M8

nice Lookn KW U got pictured there
Twould B fully imported from yanky land

RE:that cab over of yours is about the shortest I`ve seen
yes it twaz specd up th@ way
6V-71 GM 238HP Jakes, rto9513, R170 5.29:1, Air Start, HD front bumper 110" WB .Tulsa 25,000 lb mecanical drive winch
It is th@ short! it has a smaller turning circle than a car (without trailer) but only has armstrong steering it has the normal garden variety spring rear suspension
The shorter the primemover, the longer the load, Mainly for X10dable semi work (10 feet from front bumper to Kingpin)

Cya

[ch9786]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

14 years 9 months ago - 14 years 9 months ago #11184 by

JuanTrak
GuddayM8
Gr8 Link of ol pix
So this is where U spend all u're time
pervin on ol pics
LOL
Cya
[ch9786]

Geez, Swish - Ya oughta know .. that true truckies and tractor men .. would rather perv on a picture of an ole truck or tractor .. than a naked woman .. ANY day of the week!! ;D

More
14 years 1 month ago #11185 by Cunning Stunt
Replied by Cunning Stunt on topic Re: Old truck photos
BTTT............for an inquisitive mate :)

Some play hard to get

14 years 1 month ago #11186 by
All NR's were Diesel, all NR's were military. The NO & NM were petrol. There were no badges on military trucks, so I suppose blokes had it painted on, it could be that agents selling ex military trucks may have stencilled the 'Mack' on, and I have noticed some had 'Diesel' on them aswell. The NR's that came to Australia had single wheels all round, 24" on the front and 20" on the rear, in civillian service many had the front cut down to 20" and duals fitted on the rear. Some NR's had 24" duals on the rear ex factory, but I don't think they came to Australia. I have seen a few NR's with 24" duals on the rear, but I think they were a later fitment. Jeff.

Time to create page: 0.539 seconds