Dunno if this link will work or not but have a ganda

forums.justoldtrucks.com/83463/1974-Peterbilt-359-EXHD

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #172017 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic Yanky Iron Fix II
Damn you, Paul! That's going to take me all day. :silly: LOL!

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
7 years 8 months ago #172032 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Yanky Iron Fix II
Drool.Drool...............(sigh!)

More
7 years 8 months ago #172411 by Dave_64
Going back to a photo put up by Blackduck59, on 9 April 2016, shows an extremely tidy L/H/D AM General body truck, rego looks like D*5188. Taken at Dowerin Field day. Anyone know anything about this truck? Rego has thrown me for a start, is that W.A. historical plate? Would it have been a private import?,maybe bought in by some mob doing some sort of exploration work? Thought being that late, may have possibly been one of those ex-US military multifuel jobs?
Cheers, Dave_64

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #172417 by wouldyou
Replied by wouldyou on topic Yanky Iron Fix II
Dave 64,
Think it may be over width, can get it licensed as tractor plant.
We have Shire plates here, that D is for Dowerin, lets you know where they come from.
Club concession vehicles also, our Shire Dalwallinu.
David.
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by wouldyou.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
7 years 8 months ago #172523 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Yanky Iron Fix II
Euclids at Benella 1952 on the Hume going between Melb and Sydney

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
7 years 8 months ago #172532 by dno
Replied by dno on topic Yanky Iron Fix II
Great pic that one ^^^

Chipping away, one day at a time.
Limited Access Excavations.
Find me on Instagram, or search deankummer.com

More
7 years 7 months ago #173142 by Dave_64
Often go trawling through old posts on both this forum and also the web in general, looking for something just that little different as well as old, actually older the better. (I know, get a life!).
Came across two of interest, one was of an old truck under a tree, been left there for many years, of a twin engined truck (already dealt with on these forums), but this one was different as it had two (2) side valve V8 Ford engines hooked up in series. Had an extended chassis to the front, first engine driving a tailshaft of sorts into the vibration damper of the second. Didn't seem to be a bad job of it, from what you could make out of it.
Second one was of a post of some guy in the States (where else?) who dropped a small railway locomotive engine and what was reported to be a hydrostatic transmission into a bogie drive truck chassis, looked to be ex-Military, but I'm not too good with identification and it had no guards or front clip on it. Unfortunately I never bookmarked the site and have spent some time trying to retrieve the same.I do remember reading a bit on the loco engined one, when asked the question "why?", the bloke said, "Cause I could!"
This bloke obviously had far too much money as well as time on his hands as he reported that his next project was going to be a diesel-electric conversion into a road going truck. OK, I know in the mining industry that's commonplace nowadays.
Just harking back to the twin engined concept dealt with on these pages, installing another engine/power pack halfway along the "road train" has also been done successfully both here and overseas, usually with computer controlled and automatic transmissions. But diesel electric??
Doubt if it has been tried, maybe both expense as well as adaptation doesn't warrant it? Better simply go 700 plus horsepower? BUT, as the guy said in the post about the loco engine, didn't say just what size, so I assumed it was some sort of small to medium shunting loco. For severe service, the concept of traction engines at the wheels has been around since the nineteen thirties, likewise in some naval applications also widely used. Probably a lot to do with running the engine at set throttle, and like those electric steering Tourneaupulls , have to maintain a certain RPM to be efficient.
Again, in the case of road transport concepts, better to stick with tried and tested ideas, plus although a huge financial investment for a new truck, components are plentiful, easy to manufacture and distribute. Has the transport industry ever utilised or thought about diesel electric principle for road transport? Can see a few reasons why not, notably size of the individual components, weight, running costs etc. I suppose the other thing is if your on a good idea, simply improve on it.
Dave_64

More
7 years 7 months ago #173150 by paulc20
Replied by paulc20 on topic Yanky Iron Fix II
LeTourneau loved the diesel electric idea, whack another scraper on the back and a few more 8 or 12V71s driving generators to power it. Photos of the LT360 electric digger show the packaging advantages of the diesel electric idea, you can put the engine where ever you like, the drive line is 3 electrical conductors, if AC drive, 2 if DC, Le Tourneau has used both.

I have a photo in a book of a Le Tourneau diesel electric powered prime mover for testing purposes. From memory it had the engine genset mounted transversely behind the cab. I will try and find the photo and post unless someone beats me to it.

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
7 years 7 months ago #173151 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Yanky Iron Fix II
Paul
Gudday M8
Yes R.G.LeTournea was a thinker well ahead of his time

http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2390&d=1163286907

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyi3VUlnZHZTV2260gvk2NSJYD1vZzMyfhMIygWpU5M2vqeJAV

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

Time to create page: 0.588 seconds