Skip to main content

Leyland Terrier V8 4.4 Petrol Automatic - Moths

More
10 years 6 months ago #127508 by The Moth

Humes Plastics in Clayton had a Terrier with the V8 and auto which I got to drive now and again, it was no powerhouse that was for sure. The main problem I found with either the Terrier or P76 V8's was their habit of cracking pistons if you pushed them too hard, other than that they were pretty good.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #127509 by The Moth

The main problem I found with either the Terrier or P76 V8's was their habit of cracking pistons if you pushed them too hard ...

:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D
really ????

You'll crack a piston in any engine if you "push it too hard" ... would that make it habitual? ::)

I know a bloke quite well who has a P76 V8 in an off road racer. Same engine for 18 years, changed rings and bearings twice, still original pistons.
I guess he's not pushing it "too hard" then ... ;)

More
10 years 6 months ago #127510 by The Moth

Humes Plastics in Clayton had a Terrier with the V8 and auto which I got to drive now and again, it was no powerhouse that was for sure. The main problem I found with either the Terrier or P76 V8's was their habit of cracking pistons if you pushed them too hard, other than that they were pretty good.

I know what the problem is I have been known to have the same affliction I believe that correct term is "the nut behind the wheel syndrome" :D :D
seeya
Paul

More
10 years 6 months ago #127511 by The Moth

I guess I must have pushed them a bit too hard then!!

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #127512 by The Moth

Working for JRA ( which morphed from Leyland Australia) in the mid 1980's there were still quite a few P76 V8's in parts stock.
I recall JRA had an unregistered Terrier onsite f/w P76 V8 & an auto + there still few Terrier V8 auto combinations built for a gov't contract as school buses running around in South Australia

Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by The Moth.

More
10 years 6 months ago #127513 by The Moth
Met a old bloke the other day (old diesel mechanic) - said he has seen a couple of short wheelbase Boxers with the petrol V8 .. pulled them out and put bigger diesels in from other Leylands 'cause the owners wanted to use them at maximum weight .. seemed to know his stuff - but I know the petrols were never a good seller in that class with any truck type ... so if they made any of them - they would be very rare.
(and I politely ignored the bit about the "petty" V8)

Info I have (from the former state manager) is that there was a stuff-up by the advertising company. Petty V8 was never intended for the heavier trucks, diesel engines only for them.

More
10 years 6 months ago #127514 by The Moth

(and I politely ignored the bit about the "petty" V8)

Short for Petrol 8-) ... although not really that much shorter admitedly ::) ... don't forget, I've had mine fourteen years, and covered a few kms ... (about 17,000) ;)

More
10 years 6 months ago #127515 by The Moth

many moons ago i seen two other leyland trucks(boxers not Terriers) fitted with Pnut -P76 motors) ..although i doubt Leyland ever fitted them to anything larger than a "terrier" ?

More
10 years 6 months ago #127516 by The Moth

i doubt Leyland ever fitted them to anything larger than a "terrier" ?

Correct ... Terrier only

More
10 years 6 months ago #127517 by The Moth

Leyland offered the petrol V8 on the Boxer - with the Auto option no less - (As per their 1977 newspaper advertising at the time)

Info I have (from the former state manager) is that there was a stuff-up by the advertising company. Petty V8 was never intended for the heavier trucks, diesel engines only for them.

Time to create page: 0.564 seconds