Skip to main content

Detroit Devil

More
10 years 1 week ago #140890 by Raggsie
Replied by Raggsie on topic Re: Detroit Devil
Cool video Swishy, legendary stuff there.
Rags

1956 International AR160&&196? International A414&&1988 Ford F250&&1982 FORD

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 1 week ago #140891 by Ozfury
Replied by Ozfury on topic Re: Detroit Devil
I read a story many years ago ( I think it was in Truck and Bus?) about some crazy old dude in Victoria who strapped a jet engine onto the back of a 1950s Atkinson to try and set a land speed record. The end result was a spectacular crash that killed him on a trial run. This was before Waltzing Matilda, anybody know of this one?

More
10 years 1 week ago #140892 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Detroit Devil
Yep ... Seen photos too ... Just can't remember where .... Was it an Atki ... Or Foden ?

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
10 years 1 week ago #140893 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Re: Detroit Devil
Scrounged off the net jist 4 U

for ejactional purposes only n not for com mer shall use

LOL

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
10 years 1 week ago #140894 by Ozfury
Thanks for posting that Swishy! Another fast truck I remember came to Townsville dragstrip in the late 70s or early 80s was a W model called "Son of Satan" or something similar. Frank Gaffiero in the Bandag Bullet (the Road Expeditor version) and Billy Gordon in the Mean Machine were booked to match race at a highly publicised truck drag meeting, and this W model appeared (allegedly uninvited from WA) and blew the doors off both of them. Apparently they were a bit put out as they were vying for the title of Australia's quickest truck. We heard the W model then headed back to WA on a float and was destroyed in a fire on the way home.From memory it was running low 14s, with Frank running low 15s and Billy running high 15s, pretty awesome for a B model!

More
10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #140895 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: Detroit Devil

Puff the Magic Dragger

Knew I found a photo of it some where .... Not my photo .... Found in the net

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 10 years 1 week ago by werkhorse.

10 years 1 week ago #140896 by
Replied by on topic Re: Detroit Devil

Thanks for posting that Swishy! Another fast truck I remember came to Townsville dragstrip in the late 70s or early 80s was a W model called "Son of Satan" or something similar. Frank Gaffiero in the Bandag Bullet (the Road Expeditor version) and Billy Gordon in the Mean Machine were booked to match race at a highly publicised truck drag meeting, and this W model appeared (allegedly uninvited from WA) and blew the doors off both of them. Apparently they were a bit put out as they were vying for the title of Australia's quickest truck. We heard the W model then headed back to WA on a float and was destroyed in a fire on the way home.From memory it was running low 14s, with Frank running low 15s and Billy running high 15s, pretty awesome for a B model!

Didn't Billy Gordon have an 871 or 892 in that B model?
I'm thinking it was green and 892 but I could be wrong.. :)

More
10 years 1 week ago #140897 by Ozfury
Yep, I'm pretty sure it was an 8v71 at about 600hp. I think it was green when he was working it, but was painted metalflake purple as a race only truck. I remember seeing him unhook a trailer outside the Norgate servo in Townsville, do a ubolt, head into town laying rubber for about 50m up the road. Late 70's awesome stuff!

More
10 years 6 days ago #140898 by stevejr
Replied by stevejr on topic Re: Detroit Devil
[IMG

Yep 8 71 with a quad box fantastic to watch Bill yankin' on them sticks

Mack R600 1975&&Dodge D5N 400&&Fe 35 1958&&Tea 20 1951 &&Tea 20 1952

More
10 years 6 days ago #140899 by stevejr
Replied by stevejr on topic Re: Detroit Devil
[IMG