Skip to main content

New member from Red Cliffs

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #142544 by Rusty54
G'day all.

My name is Hayden and I'm from Red Cliffs in northern Vic. on the Murray, home of "Big Lizzie"........google it.

We have a lot of truck and tractor appreciators up here and have recently hosted the 2nd annual TRACS show at the TAFE showgrounds. Some of you may have been?

My Dad and I are members of a local vintage vehicle club (MVVC) and Dad is also a member of the TRACS club.
Between us there are a heap of cars, a few trucks and a couple of tractors.
But it's the trucks that we are here for of course......

Now, to the point......I found this site and forum whilst hunting for information and identification on a light truck/pickup that I have been offered to purchase.
Despite thinking you could find anything on the internet, including things you didn't need to see, I haven't been able to identify this truck.

At first I thought it was a Jailbar until I zoomed in to the picture and got totally confused.
I found one picture of a 40's Dodge pickup that had similarities but not close enough.

It has many vertical grille bars in stainless, slightly canted away from the centre with a painted divider in the middle.
It has headlight surrounds similar to 40's Ford pickups with a park light built in at the top and the headlight is positioned at the outside of the mudguard, not inboard like a Jailbar.
At the lower trailing edge of the mudguard are three horizontal pressings, lines close together.

The bonnet, while humping up like a Ford doesn't open from the top of the mudguard. It has a pancake bonnet with no real sides like the Ford's, and there is a definite beak to the bonnet front that dips down a little.
There is also a prominent bonnet spear that is long but not high and along the opening edge of the bonnet is a long stainless strip.

Following the bonnet opening edge back to the cab you can see three portholes in the body side under the bonnet, but when you zoom right in you can see that they are actually domes protruding out from the panel?!

For the cab, the windscreen is split with rounded corners.
The doors, to me, are reminiscent of 30's Ford sedans but have a dished out lip at the bottom where it meets the running board like the Dodge pickup I saw.

This really has me beat, but I'm hoping you knowledgeable blokes can set me straight!!

I will post some pictures of our trucks and Mainline ute soon for anyone that is interested :)

Cheers....
H

PS
Can somebody help me with how to browse for a picture on my computer to upload here?
Or do I have to have my pictures on a website to add a URL?
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Rusty54.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

9 years 10 months ago #142545 by
Replied by on topic Re: New member from Red Cliffs
Welcome Rusty54 to uploaded pics there is a section on how to do it in Forum FAQ if follow that you should be right. Dave

More
9 years 10 months ago #142546 by Mairjimmy
Hayden,Welcome to the forum ,yes you will need a Flickr or photo ucketor simular, to put photos up, Dave is right about the section on here how to do it , but its not that easy is it Dave, still waiting for your first one dave ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) l have tried the way it say on here but know luck l just do it my way, good luck with it
Colin

Time to get up andd get going.......todays bad decisions aren't going to make themselves!!!

9 years 10 months ago #142547 by
Replied by on topic Re: New member from Red Cliffs
Thanks mateeeeeeeeeeee ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

More
9 years 10 months ago #142548 by Rusty54
Thanks fellas........and here are the two pictures I have of the truck. Hope somebody can help.......

[IMG

&

[IMG

More
9 years 10 months ago #142549 by asw120
For the ute, 1941 DeSoto is the closest thing I can find, but not exact. Would be very rare if it was.

ASW.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
9 years 10 months ago #142550 by Backyard Fixer
I like the mud guards on the ute.

Hard working Christian father of three.&&1964 AP5 Valiant restored daily driver.&&19

More
9 years 10 months ago #142551 by f700
Replied by f700 on topic Re: New member from Red Cliffs
Hi, Hayden. Green ute is as ASW120 says, 1941 Desoto, but seeing it looks like it has an opening windscreen it could be an ex military 1941 Plymouth fitted with Desoto sedan front panels and grille It looks sad but it is very rare and well worth saving . black sedan is a 1946- 47-48 Plymouth .( Ive got a few of them here) A lot of parts off it are common to the Desoto. It looks like you will need a chainsaw to retrieve them.

More
9 years 10 months ago #142552 by Rusty54
Thanks very much to those that identified this ute, absolutely brilliant!!

Now I'm very interested :D

The cab and front actually look pretty good, it's the tub sides that are barely hanging on.......are these integreal with the cab or separate like a US pickup bed?

These Desoto's look pretty cool. Now, where exactly do I find a heap of information on these things? Are there any military sites or books that have documented how many, what specification, etc.? That's if it is actually a military vehicle, presume they were for public consumption as well, or were they strictly military because of the war?

H.

More
9 years 10 months ago #142553 by olddon
now that you know what you are dealing with,I am sure that Mr Google can be a lot of help mate. ;D ;D ;D

Time to create page: 0.544 seconds