Skip to main content

New member from Red Cliffs

More
3 years 10 months ago #210756 by Rusty54
Replied by Rusty54 on topic New member from Red Cliffs
Hi cobbadog, that's exactly how it was done, yes.
The rims were made by a retired bloke in Queensland a few years back and advertised on eBay. I couldn't hit the 'buy it now' button quick enough when I saw them :woohoo:
Apparently he took the original centres and fitted them to a set of 'Sunraysia bands'.
This was the best find as I had recently been disappointed by a wheel manufacturer in Adelaide that told me they could do the modification on my original rims, until I made a special trip to Adelaide and they measured them........said they could only fit 15' bands to the original centres.
Guess the old bloke in Queensland knew a few more tricks B) .
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #210776 by asw120
Replied by asw120 on topic New member from Red Cliffs
His name wasn't Carl, was it? If so the centres might have come from here....
He was up the coast and now leaves the work to a bloke around Redcliffe, Alan, I think.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II

More
3 years 10 months ago #210784 by Rusty54
Replied by Rusty54 on topic New member from Red Cliffs
Hi Jarrod,

I had a long chat to the bloke but don't remember his name sorry.
Remember him saying he had a career as a wheel maker and that he did it in his shed at home as a hobby/retirement funding activity.

Top work anyhow, had the white walls fitted up today and they needed bugger all balancing weights.......

H.

More
3 years 10 months ago #210792 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic New member from Red Cliffs
When I worked in the passenger and truck tyre industry we had a wheel hidden away that we used to test the wheel balancer with. We knew that this bare rim required a 10g weight exactly at the valve hole. Every now and then we would put it onto the balancer and check the machine. It was amazing how often the callibration would go out. For my own tyres I always set the machine to less than 5g accuracy which never happens today at the tyre shops.
With your new wheels they must be running true to start with plus the tyres must have been wrapped properly then at the factory the test balance is done and theyput a mark on the sidewall as to where it should be mounted to use the least amount of weights. The mark can be a yellow dot or a red circle or what ever that maker uses. A good fitter knows this and uses it to his advantage to do the job quicker. Iused to hate having to balance bloody retreads sometimes 80 - 100g was not enough.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rusty54

Time to create page: 0.430 seconds