Skip to main content

68 kenworth

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #214429 by Brooksie465
Replied by Brooksie465 on topic Re: 68 kenworth
Update time. So I posted a few pics of the truck on various sites and received an overwhelming response. Thankyou to everyone who helped offering up information.
What I found out is that the truck was originally sold to Alan Howard Transport of Geelong Victoria in 1969. I was kindly sent some pics so now I also know what the trucks original colours were.

List of trucks compiled by Truck historian D Hingston showing my truck, chassis number 111910.

[img

This pic shows one of Alan Howards Trucks stopping to help a fellow driver. I'm not sure if this is Alan Howard himself.
[img

This is another pic of what I believe is the first truck with AH removed from the bullbar. This is not my truck as the front hubs are different to what was originally on my truck. The gold paint work is also alot different also.
[img

I was also sent these next two pics which I believe is my truck . I'm told that Alan Howard had two CO Kenworths, one fitted with a Cummins the other with a GM. My truck has the 335 Cummins fitted.
Not sure of the drivers?
[img

[img

If anyone here drove for Alan Howard back in the day or mechaniced for him or has pics of my truck I would really love to see them.
My next piece of the puzzle is to find out when it was sold by Alan Howard and who too. The service book shows it changed hands in 1978 and was then sold to JJ Woods around 1985. Unfortunately DMR (as it was back then) records were on microfish before 1985 so it's pretty hard to get any info beyond there.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Brooksie465.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout, cobbadog, Mrsmackpaul, Mairjimmy, PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 7 months ago #214435 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Re: 68 kenworth
Glad to be able to help mate, just to clear one thing up... I didn't compile that list... There's a few bloke that have copies of it... I just digitised it so I have access to it at all times ;)

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brooksie465

More
3 years 7 months ago #214438 by Brooksie465
Replied by Brooksie465 on topic 68 kenworth
Thanks again mate, you were a great help. The only discrepancy I found was that the list says my truck had a 5.29 diff ratio. Unless I’m reading it incorrectly it actually had a 4.44 ratio exactly the same as the Yager truck. Doesn’t really matter now as those diffs are long gone. I think I’ll hunt around for a period correct torsion bar back end and put it back to original as closely as possible.

More
3 years 7 months ago #214443 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic 68 kenworth
What's the data plate say it had?

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
3 years 7 months ago #214444 by overlander
Replied by overlander on topic 68 kenworth
Greetings. There is a photo on page 50 of my photos of a Kw with the same colour scheme, only newer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brooksie465

More
3 years 7 months ago #214445 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic 68 kenworth
https://www.hcvc.com.au/forum/attachment/18936

www.hcvc.com.au/forum/OldTruck/16820-ove...tos?start=490#212302
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, Brooksie465

More
3 years 7 months ago #214450 by werkhorse
Most likely chassis number 400744

More
3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #214481 by Brooksie465
Not sure where the data plate is located on this truck. It only has this small sticker with codes, which I presumed was paint, trim code.

[img

I did some digging around the cab and found the underside has a bronze/brown colour which is the same as the dash and door trims.

[img

Underneath the cab grab handle I found this gold colour but this is the JJ Woods colour it was previously painted and looking at the original pics of the truck this section was painted white. Not a fan of the original colours as they border on poo brown. I would like to stay true to the truck so maybe I'll paint it a different shade of gold.
[img
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Brooksie465.

More
3 years 7 months ago #214482 by Brooksie465
Thanks Overlander. I did look through those pictures but missed it. Definitely looks like one of Alan Howard's trucks.

More
3 years 7 months ago #214484 by werkhorse
That plate is just the cab plate which has the detail of what options the cab had.

Time to create page: 0.473 seconds