[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 years 5 months ago #14795 by Rob365
Hi Hemidog,

The magazine that Fleetexpress published was called "Fleetnews". I used to read these when I was a kid - Dad drove Taxi trucks for them from 1974-1984.

I started talking with HCVC members on this thread; as my copies of this mag are long since gone.

The other reason for this thread was to locate any pics of the Scammell Contractor that FXP custom built in their workshops in Bertie Street, Port Melb in the early 1980's. So far to no avail, yet the pics put on here are great! I remember that depot was full of orange liveried hardware.

Slospeed's recent pics with the trio of Macks etc show a Cometto steerable trailer(s) which may be the same unit in Swishy's first pics in this thread. The control box at the rear looks like it may confirm this. Others may know more of how accurate this may be(?).

Cheers

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 5 months ago #14796 by Swishy

RobYear
GuddayM8
Dunno ifn I've posted this B 4
But here goes

Pic twaz taken @ South Wharf Lorriner st Port Melbourne
where the Commetto Twaz assembled for the 1st time after it twaz unloaded off Ship (Udder wordz BrandNew)
Cya
[ch9787]

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
14 years 5 months ago #14797 by Rob365
Thanks Swishy. Yes, this pic was on here earlier in this discussion/thread/chat thingy. The Cometto unit looked quite new in that shot!

More
14 years 5 months ago #14798 by Hemidog
Thx Rob. You're right it was Fleetnews. I recall my grandfather being so proud when a pic of him was published in there. He had it blown up and framed
I mentioned this topic to my mum recently and she spoke with her dad, and it sounds like he got excited about it and has haulled out a few albums full of pix for me to collect the next time I'm in Sydney. She said there are pre-war, WWII and post war pics of him and his trucks and he's keen to tell me all about them I can't wait to hear the stories and will scan the pics for y'all asap!

More
14 years 5 months ago #14799 by roadboss82
hello all i could't help but notice the 'c' around the kw on the radiatorit reminds me of a kw of the same design that towed me out of a bog in mansfield vic.the owner told me the 'c' ment made in canada. according to the owner the truck was made in canada then shipped to Tom Price then latter bought by him with 25000 miles on the clock.it is powered by a nt 380[with decompression lever] 4x4 spicer page six rod on what looks like sudd rockwells. it looked pretty straight for its age.

More
14 years 5 months ago #14800 by Rob365
That's great HDog. Also good for everyone's "grey matter" - mine included. Look forward to reading and seeing more pics of the old days etc. Interestingly FXP had taken over other companies back then too. W.J. George, Eyre Peninsula Freighters (?) to name a couple.

RB82. Thnks for mentioning the "C". Always wondered what and why it differed from the standard type of KW grille badge.

Cheers

More
14 years 5 months ago #14801 by aussiebigbangers
Seems to be the same colour as Luya Julius. the stickers on the side with fleet express are the same design aswell .

David. :D

! !  Without Trucks Australia Stops  ! !

More
14 years 5 months ago #14802 by bigcam
Hi David,luya Julias and Fleet Express are the same,one must have taken the other over or something.I remember someone calling them Eventide Transport down at Fisherman Is in reference to the age of their drivers.

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
14 years 5 months ago #14803 by Swishy

OK
So lets just add wot U know

Timeline for memory

Yellow Express
boughtout/amalgamated: Fleetways
Became Fleet express