Skip to main content

WHERE ARE THESE TRUCKS NOW - FLEET EXPRESS

More
13 years 5 months ago #14814 by hoarder1

One of you guys will have to let us know what these trucks are because they are a lot older than me

Great pic. Older than me too, but I reckon it's a White. Happy to be corrected, but nobody else has offered an answer since January...

Collector and admirer of ye olde crappe.  I'm interested in researching and collecting old numb

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #14815 by Assessor
My brother was goldhills foreman for years, he was in charge of all the truck buying and selling and overseeyer of morwell,yallorn and other open cuts for Micheal Goldberg, i will ask him about the truck,or you can ask him all about goldhills as he is coming to the dinner and sandown. we have many pic,s off goldhills macks that i will post soon! cheers Adam

More
13 years 4 months ago #14816 by K.W.Dart
Hi i work for Lampson Aust in Perth and we have one of the Kenworth Darts here in Perth and is still in use today. The other one is in our Gladstone yard. They are both fitted with 12/71 GM, Alison auto's and Clark diff's and have a top speed of 27km per hour @ 2500 rpm. I will post some pic of the last job we did in W.A. with the old girl towing a 14 axel Goldhofer platform with a EX3600 EXC when i work out how to do it.

Cheers Norm

More
13 years 4 months ago #14817 by ianoz
Welcome to the forum Norm . No ones going to say no to to more photos Ian .

More
13 years 4 months ago #14818 by GM Diesel
Welcome Norm.

Looking foward to seeing a pic of the old girl.

Basil

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #14819 by raafy
I only just found this forum while surfing. I did my apprenticeship with Luya Julius from 1969-1974. If my memory is correct, Luya Julius operated under their own name but with Fleet Express colours after they became the same company about 1972-3??.
Sadly I only have a couple of photos of their trucks that aren't the best but I will put them up anyway

This was taken on my grandfather's peanut farm in Kingaroy about 1939, & no, I wasn't there.

Some of the trucks in their yard at Dutton Park about 1972. The AEC in front operated out of Maryborough carting sugar cane & the Bedfords at the back operated out of Condong & Rocky Point carting raw sugar to Brisbane & Broadwater.

MOVED FROM CAIRNS TO VICTORIA & STILL TRYING TO WORK OUT WHY
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by raafy.

More
13 years 4 months ago #14820 by bigcam
Good Pictures Raafy. Luya Julias used to cart a lot of cars too, didn't they?

More
13 years 4 months ago #14821 by raafy

Good Pictures Raafy. Luya Julias used to cart a lot of cars too, didn't they?

They had the contract for GMH & Leyland until (I think) Finemores bought that side of it.
I learnt how to back a semi trailer by practicing with the car trailers in their yard of a lunchtime.
They mainly had Bedfords TK, J, A & S models, Leyland Super Comets, Comets & Mastiffs, AEC Mandators, Monarchs & Mammoth Majors, 1060 Dodges & a Scammel Routeman ll.
The TK Bedfords were used firstly on bulk sugar transport (carrying about 20 ton with a 300 cu in petrol motor & vaccuum 2 speed diff), then moved on to car trailers & finally as flat tops before being retired.
Oh so many years ago but still good?? memories of how the Australian truck industry was before high power engines & needing computers to fix them.

More
13 years 4 months ago #14822 by bigcam
My Father had car carriers in the late 60's early 70's. I remember the Luya Julius trucks from when he used to go out to GMH at Acacia Ridge, thier yard was just over the hill.

More
13 years 4 months ago #14823 by raafy

My Father had car carriers in the late 60's early 70's. I remember the Luya Julius trucks from when he used to go out to GMH at Acacia Ridge, thier yard was just over the hill.

They moved from Dutton Park to Acacia Ridge about 1974 I think, to be closer to GMH. I was at Broadbents (which they owned) in Herston at the time & left there to work at Aitkins Transport so I never got to see their new workshop. From memory, they lost the GMH contract not long after.

Time to create page: 0.553 seconds