Skip to main content

WHERE ARE THESE TRUCKS NOW - FLEET EXPRESS

More
13 years 4 months ago #14824 by mailmal9
gday i am new to this but here goes my dad was manager of fleetxpress heavy haulage victoria until his untimley death due to car accident in 1977. I have many memories of bertie st and footscray road truck yards also have many pictures and old fleetnews. Any questions i would be glad to answer cheers mal

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #14825 by raafy
Found another old photo from about 1971. AEC sugar truck minus the dog & a Bedford car carrier. The car carrier is nothing like the ones that are on the road today as they could only fit 6 cars on. They even had the compulsory indicator arms on the doors.

MOVED FROM CAIRNS TO VICTORIA & STILL TRYING TO WORK OUT WHY

More
13 years 4 months ago #14826 by prodrive
Great photos guys, keep em coming!
Hey Bigcam, do you remember my father up there in Brissy (wasn't Brisvagas yet in those days)
He started a business called "Carcarriers Brisbane". Had a bright yellow Commer just like that in the photo, with a knocker in it. It was called "Yellow Peril"...
I remember how hard it sounded like it was revving! Then he had a 190, and so on onto 1418's, a fleet, etc. Then back to one truck...as you do...

More
13 years 4 months ago #14827 by hoarder1
Thanks for posting the pics. That AEC in reply#41 has got a Qld dealer plate on the bullbar. Was it new then?

Collector and admirer of ye olde crappe.  I'm interested in researching and collecting old numb

More
13 years 4 months ago #14828 by raafy

Thanks for posting the pics. That AEC in reply#41 has got a Qld dealer plate on the bullbar. Was it new then?

No, it wasn't registered at the time. Luya Julius de-registered all of their sugar trucks at the end of the sugar season to save money. Most of the trucks were parked at the Leyland dealer yard in Rocklea during the off season & then brought back to Dutton Park before the next season started to prepare them. This was done as all bar the Bedfords could only be used for carting sugar. The Leyland Super Comets & Comets had alloy bulk bodies but no hoist (the refineries had hoists to lift them) & the AEC's had frames that the bins were attached to.

MOVED FROM CAIRNS TO VICTORIA & STILL TRYING TO WORK OUT WHY

More
13 years 4 months ago #14829 by bigcam
raafy, a mate of mine has got one of those old LJ trailers in Bundy, I'm pretty sure. Here is a couple of pics of Dad's trucks.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lang, PaulFH

• Topic Author
11 years 6 months ago - 11 years 6 months ago #14830 by
g'day all .. i thought this would be a good topic to revisit and wondered what became of forum member K.W.Dart and his photo's of the V12 kenworths that he mentioned.... although i believe it was these big bangers that went through a Sydney dealer in the late eighties/early nineties....cheers

More
11 years 5 days ago #14831 by Little hank
Gday Hemidog. Looked at your photo on the site and knew it well. I have been looking at the same photo for years. Dad (Hank) was in the 2nd truck connected to the load. Send me a note if you wish with your real name and possibly Dad knows you and if local can catch up for a beer. Cheers.

More
4 years 9 months ago #201253 by Medicated Mick
The following user(s) said Thank You: eerfree, PaulFH, Southbound

More
4 years 9 months ago #201254 by Medicated Mick
Just some of the photos left to me by a TOP BLOKE Steve Exell A.K.A. Pretty Boy (sorry Steve) a long time FleetExpress Heavy Gang Driver, Plant Operator and a BLOODY GOOD Bloke.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IHScout

Time to create page: 0.524 seconds