Updated 28th July.

If you are unable to login, you probably need to read this change to your username & profile.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Caption This 22 May 2022 21:04 #235300

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1535
You would think that once the body of the plug had snapped away that the threaded section would wind out because it is no longer seating on the head.
But after what Jarrod said I think maybe not.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Caption This 23 May 2022 00:25 #235305

• overnite
  • Thank you received: 565
Maybe it was a long reach plug, but should have been short reach, and the exposed thread was all carboned up?

Caption This 23 May 2022 09:25 #235311

• PDU
  • Thank you received: 1042
Just spotted this on one of the sites I frequent, couldn't let it pass . . .

. . . Ingenuity, or desperation, is the mother of invention. :huh:
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Last edit: by PDU.

Caption This 23 May 2022 10:59 #235313

• PaulFH
  • Thank you received: 2475
Beats a skyhook anytime!

Caption This 23 May 2022 11:16 #235314

• Mrsmackpaul
  • Thank you received: 2400
If it works it's fine

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Caption This 23 May 2022 13:47 #235319

• asw120
  • Thank you received: 551

You would think that once the body of the plug had snapped away that the threaded section would wind out because it is no longer seating on the head.
But after what Jarrod said I think maybe not.

Was a normal BP6ES (or thereabouts) in an aluminium head. Mazda based Ford Capri. Wasn't more than 10 years old, either. We had to drill it out, pick out the thread and used lots of compressed air, hoping for the best. He didn't keep the car long after that.

Jarrod.

“I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them”

― Adlai E. Stevenson II
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog, PaulFH

Caption This 23 May 2022 16:43 #235322

• Zuffen
  • Thank you received: 470
I'm pretty sure PDU's photo is in Australia.

Check out the number plate on the HiLux?

So no laughing at hose dumb Americans.

Caption This 23 May 2022 17:33 #235323

• Morris
  • Thank you received: 928
It took me at least 30 seconds to see what all the fuss was about. The sling and the step ladders look ok it is only the tins and bricks that worry me.
I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Caption This 23 May 2022 21:13 #235333

• cobbadog
  • Thank you received: 1535
The eye opener for me is the support beam on it's edge with no means to stop it rolling off the ladders.
Having said that, I did manage to do something almost similar when rebuilding the engine in the David Brown. With no engine hoist or concrete floor to move one around on and parked up under an old poorly made car port I lifted the block out complete with flywheel and crank obviously. The wire winch was attached to a 50 x 50 piece of angle iron that the roofing is screwed to. I placed some thick timbers alongside the chassis of the tractor so that had the weight spread over about 750mm-800mm width of the angle iron. Lifted the block then got Dee to push the block over to one side as I wound it back down to earth. Reverse proceedure put it back in place and I am here to tell the story. Have pics of it at home if needed but will need to be reminded about it in a few weeks time when we might get back home.
Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.

Caption This 24 May 2022 18:36 #235356

• PDU
  • Thank you received: 1042
The picture is intriguing as the more you look at it, the more you see. An unbridled level of cunning (and good luck) involved.

It also reminds us of the incredibly dodgy lifts and manoeuvres we have survived over the years. Personally I've improved lately, BUT last week we were clearing a shed out for a local and amongst some bric a brac was a reasonably decent size grinder mounted onto two 15 gallon drums. Hmmm? The drums had been welded together and filled with cement - very heavy. I leaned it over slightly and rotated it to the garage door where I lowered it into my trailer. Arriving at the Men's Shed no one keen on lifting it out, so I rolled it off the trailer, and connected a block and tackle to a verandah beam (steel tube) to up-end it again. A bit more careful leaning and rotation had it inside. Basically bloody stupid even attempting to move it, and amazingly my back is still okay :unsure: can't think why though.

PS Sorry for wandering off topic; back to captions again everyone.

Time to create page: 1.219 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Rooms:  03) 9738 1558