Skip to main content

Butterbox Acco resto

More
16 years 4 months ago #744 by geoff f600
G,day all. Firstly, thank you to everybody involved in organising and running Sandown, i had a great day as no doubt everybody who attended did.
I have recently puchased a 69 Butterbox Acco which i found resting in a cockys hay shed whilst spreading fertilizer on his farm, i had a good look at the old girl before before aproaching the farmer to see if he would part with her, which he did for lets say...bugger all.

She is a C1810 with a 345 V8 and 5x2 speed, 75000 miles, very straight and will be restored to carry my vintage tractors to rallies.

I would appreciate any info on where to obtain parts and if anybody knows a guru on the 345 please let me know, i live in South Gippsland.

Cheers Geoff :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #745 by GM Diesel
Replied by GM Diesel on topic Re: Butterbox Acco resto
Hi Geoff,

Good pickup with the Acco.
We used a heap of them on the farm in different configurations and found them a very reliable tough old truck but there is a couple of things with the V8's we worked out over the years to keep an eye on . Dont let the 345 get hot !. We killed a few during harvests over the years. Inters did a mod program to the V8's with some external coolant lines from the back of the heads which made the overheating problem better. Later engines had a different gallery arrangement in the heads. The 392 also were mighty strong engines if you were happy to keep the fuel upto them.
Either engine dont let them over rev running down hills. Valve gear gets abit excited and can fall to bits.

I have parts books and manuals for the inter V8's so if you ever need help give me a yell.
Just about everything is still available for them. I know where there are a few laying around so if you need any parts give me a yell also.
We had one with a 6V-53 detroit and allison auto in it we used for a super spreader. A day in that was certainly good punishment for being naughty. Ears would ring for a week !
Good trucks with 354 perkins in them also but didnt pull nearly as good as the V8 petrol.

Barry

GM Diesels - Converting diesel into noise since 1938.

More
16 years 4 months ago #746 by podge66
Replied by podge66 on topic Re: Butterbox Acco resto
:)Hi its Stephen we have parts for 345 v8's and also 392 v8's . We have engines ex NSW fire trucks with low mileage. J. Corstorphan Pty Ltd 03 9735-1911 Jim or Stephen. We rebuilt the engines for over 10 years and now sell parts or the fire motors. We are happy to help and also have 6cylinder parts aswell.

Time to create page: 0.413 seconds