Skip to main content

Jessie 1929 Inter

More
16 years 3 months ago #791 by PhilD
Jessie 1929 Inter was created by PhilD
Hi all, Just joined this forum and posting this by way of introduction.
I was going to insert a picture as it saves many words but can't see how to do it in this forum without uploading the image to a URL address and then inserting that address.
Seems there is probably a way to send it without that hassle so I will wait to find out more.

Basically the current pride and joy is a a 1929 International 30cwt 6 speed Special C cab.
Waukesha 4cyl petrol engine runs perfectly and everything works as it should including the vacuum fuel pump.
She is currently in having her metal bits painted but I have given strict instructions to the painter that it must NOT look like it has just been painted.
Then I get into painting up the woodwork and it's all about done.
Phil /:~)>

Want to be in the shed covered in grease and muck - want a Rum ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

16 years 3 months ago #792 by
Replied by on topic Re: Jessie 1929 Inter
Welcome to our forum Phil and just great to know that there others out who love old trucks from the 20 -30's.
Just bit of a warning DONOT try and spray your timber work as it won't work trust me i have been down this track.
Paint all timber work with a oil based paint and by hand.
I was told by a expert i could spray my timber and now will have to rub it back and paint by hand,it seems the place exposed the sun are the worst for wear.Dave

More
16 years 3 months ago #793 by PhilD
Replied by PhilD on topic Re: Jessie 1929 Inter
Thanks Dave, Thanks for the tip.
Most of the timber seems to have been replaced at some time not so long ago.
I was told it was parked under the tree I found it under only 3 years before and it could be that long ago the timber was new. Most seems to be pretty good oregon and I would not think of spray painting it and the deck is oregon boards of the same age but one has rotted through so I want to find a bit of replacement of as similar as possible grain and then stain them.
The ribs under the tray are original hardwood and tapered like was done on wagons etc
they are quite heavily eroded as happens to hardwood in the elements but they were good solid heartwood to start with so have not lost any strength and will remain.

Again I will try to work out how to post pictures.

16 years 3 months ago #794 by
Replied by on topic Re: Jessie 1929 Inter
Hi Phil, I don't think much of the Oregon tray boards as oregon is soft timber and the way to go is with a hardwood about 30mm thick and that comes up a real treat when oiled.
The timber frame in truck should be also be made of Vic Ash as i know when you drive these things it put lot of strand on timbers.
Back in the 1929 they would used only hardwood for everything but oregon is lot cheaper than hardwood so it's your decieson if you want your truck to orignal or not.
Another clue for the tray is to not to tonuqe and groove as they will move with wet and dry conditions and leave a gap around the edge of the tray for movement.
When you build the cab try use old screws not new ones as they snap with movement .Dave

More
16 years 3 months ago #795 by PhilD
Well thanks for all the woodworking tips.
I finally made a site for the old girl so you can have a look at her.
www.wattagan.com/Jessie/
Sorry if the images are a bit slow loading I didn't take the time to resize them yet but will do so on the next update after painting.
I really hope the paint won't make her look all new again though !
Phil

More
16 years 3 months ago #796 by bparo
Replied by bparo on topic Re: Jessie 1929 Inter
nice looking truck there. Looks like it is still working!

Having lived through a pandemic I now understand all the painting of fat people on couches!

More
16 years 3 months ago #797 by PhilD
Yeah I like her.
That photo we were just back from Cessnock Swap carrying a bit of loot !

Time to create page: 0.450 seconds