Skip to main content

Early Australian "CBU" Road Commanders

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #167033 by defective
G'Day all .. Thought I'd better start a new thread on these rare, obscure and interesting fully built up, US Export RHD White Road Commanders. They were introduced into our country prior to, and at the initial outset, of our local Road Commander manufacture and were used as trial and evaluation models...

...The term CBU came about as being a "Completely Built Up" unit, and were noted on our Australian chassis listings with American six digit chassis numbers. They differed in numerous aspects...one of the main ones being the carry over White 7000 interior and dashboard arrangement. There were a multitude of detail differences down to other smaller degrees, but the ones with the peculiar fronts with square headlight rims, ribbed radiator cover with wider spaced W.H.I.T.E. lettering and no LH front electrical access panel or external sunvisor, have had me intrigued since I started as a young truck painter in 1979 !!....

...The one recently purchased, and in a very forlorn state, has all these unusual features... I've only ever seen two others like this one in over 35 years of being around trucks and transport.....This particular unit was operated by Intermodal (and possibly previously East Coast Transport) back in the mid 1970's

.... I'll post photos soon, and hopefully others out there may find a wreck, or hopefully a complete one of these old girls to save.... for the sake of how few there were back in 1973/74...and how many are left today.......Cheers
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by defective.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #167245 by dieseldog
Can you put photos for us? I'm itching to see 'em.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #167276 by defective
...sorry fellas .. can't get any pics to show...have PM'd Hayseed for a bit of help ..... ?

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #167280 by defective
...Square headlight rims, ribbed (fibreglass) radiator panel, no access cover for the electrics and American model designation RC64TB with Cleveland Ohio I.D plate....most unusual...

Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Sarge.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #167281 by defective
Attachments:

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #167283 by defective
Down in the weeds and really deserving to be pulled out...attachment=457]10..jpg[/attachment]

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tacho

More
8 years 2 months ago #167287 by defective
...s'cuse me for the rubbish presentation....I've had the kids buggered for about an hour trying to get the whole lot right...slow computer they say (my fault) ....

More
8 years 2 months ago #167288 by Sarge
Detec... they done good... spot on. except the odd one where they forgot to click on INSERT...
so I will fix them... Whereabout this lady hiding... for sale??? or have you collected her already? Just asking, not buying...

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #167289 by defective
Hi Sarge, thanks for fixing the whole lot up...(about a dozen pictures)...

I captured her a few months ago, and have a grand plan to drive her out of the weeds....there'll be lots of remedial work and bullshit, but hopefully all the same... be a heck of a lot of fun as well.......

More
8 years 2 months ago #167290 by grumpy
PHIL
Didn't Norm from BNB Freighters have a couple of these old "Shoe-box" Whites?

Time to create page: 0.499 seconds