Skip to main content

Early Australian "CBU" Road Commanders

More
8 years 2 months ago #167292 by defective
Hi Grumpy .. the only one I remember Norm having was a slim day cab bogie 8V71 ??

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #167293 by werkhorse
There was a bloke selling a dismantled one .... black/Silver stripes .... on farcebook within the last year .... There were some really good photos .... but I can't find it now

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #167294 by defective
...checked her out at Frank Darmanins yard Werk....shes was a basic 1976 sleeper model with an Aussie ch/no in the 25-2600 range....
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by defective.

More
8 years 2 months ago #167298 by hayseed

defective wrote: ...sorry fellas .. can't get any pics to show...have PM'd Hayseed for a bit of help ..... ?

Sorry mate, Have had Visitors, Who've not long left..
looks like you did good without Me Anyway... Thanks to Sarge..

...Square headlight rims, ribbed (fibreglass) radiator panel, no access cover for the electrics and American model designation RC64TB with Cleveland Ohio I.D plate....most unusual...

The dash looks different too...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #167326 by defective
...having no end of strife trying to post the rest of the pics, and there's still a couple more interesting ones that maybe Hayseed can cobble together ....??

...there seems to be three distinct "era's" of the Road Commander evolution in Australia...and not neccessarily in order ??.

... From what I can make of things, there are some six digit, American serialled, "Australianised" trucks which look for the most part like our "normal" RC's, with all the features ours had, and bearing an ADR compliance plate with the notation "Manufactured by White Trucks Australia to comply with design rules >>......etc."

...then there are the "CBU" models exported RHD complete, with all of the unusual features previously listed...these are the very distinct ones that I'd personally seen very few of, and have their I.D plate stating their build at Cleveland Ohio....but no Australian ADR compliance plate.

...then there are the Australian serialled RC's that had a letter prefixed, four digit Chassis number... e.g TE 2635...with the "White Motor Corporation, Coopers Plains" and ADR compliance I.D plates.

...Jake Brake Ray and I have had a lengthy chat about all of this, and there are still some lists of the breakdown of the American V Australian serials...very few (if any) noted as being "CBU"...

...this early Road Commander era has always mystified me...it's time to try and get to the bottom of it....Cheers fellas

More
8 years 2 months ago #167335 by Dave_64
Phil,
Don't take this as gospel, but something makes me think Bunkers MAY have had a few of those jiggers at one time, whether they were doing 'evaluation' or not, I'm unsure'. On the Syd-Adel changeover?

The other mob I'm thinking COULD have been East-Coast Transport, after Mayne's took them over with Hartridges, I distinctly remember their old 7000 series "Butterboxes", but I'm sure an ex-driver of either company could add a bit, somewhere along the line, H.W.Crouch (Chipping Norton, N.S.W.) were local agents at the time, I reckon.
Dave

More
8 years 2 months ago #167338 by Sarge
Detecta, I am thinking Bigcam (or was it Mammoth) was a white man, which ever one, I think he may have posted this pic....

apology if i got it wrong...

I assume that the lack of square headlight trims and having a sunshield fitted excludes this from your search...
I trawled my limited collection and they all have sunshields and most have a visible access hatch...
you like to make it hard....

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
Attachments:

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #167343 by defective
...It's bigcam sarge who has the inside running on some of this stuff. You'd probably spend a long time trying to find the Aussie ones of these Sarge, but in Yanky land there were a few with these "different" features.....not too common although...

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #167344 by hayseed
here you go Defective..

I had to Resize them Phil,
As they were all about 2MB in size, & the 3MB limit applies to the Entire Post.
IE; the sum of your Images cannot exceed 3MB per Post...(At least that's how terry explained it to Me)
If you had of put them up one at a Time they would've worked..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by hayseed. Reason: spelling

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #167345 by werkhorse

Dave_64 wrote: Phil,
Don't take this as gospel, but something makes me think Bunkers MAY have had a few of those jiggers at one time, whether they were doing 'evaluation' or not, I'm unsure'. On the Syd-Adel changeover?

The other mob I'm thinking COULD have been East-Coast Transport, after Mayne's took them over with Hartridges, I distinctly remember their old 7000 series "Butterboxes", but I'm sure an ex-driver of either company could add a bit, somewhere along the line, H.W.Crouch (Chipping Norton, N.S.W.) were local agents at the time, I reckon.
Dave

Although Bunkers had both 7000 and Road Commodes ..... I've been through every Bunker photo I have and can't find any without the front access panel

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by hayseed. Reason: inserted Pic

Time to create page: 0.595 seconds