Skip to main content

Early Australian "CBU" Road Commanders

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #167347 by defective
Thanks again hayseed for the advice and help...I'll let the kids know what to do next time LOL !....(jeeeez, I'll be buggered when they leave home !!)

...the first pic tells it all.... BTW all the driver and data info is on the LH door...

...Second pic shows the 7000 series roof ribs (this one is basically a 7000 cab all up) These ribs differ from the "flatter" normal RC roof ribs, and this particular cab has the forward RC header fully aluminium welded right across to what was a hybrid 7000 / RC cab. ( the short 7000 integral visor peak has been deleted)

....Third pic shows the Snyder fuel tanks which had longitudinal recessed notches for where the battery boxes sit...they were lower mounted in the frame compared to our Aussie ones. These tanks would've cost a fair bit more to produce back in the day, so we out here had normal round tanks and higher mounted boxes to alleviate that issue. Also the battery lids were ribbed on these ones, whereas we had checkerplate on the Aussie models

....Last pic shows the screw lidded Donaldson Cycloflow air cleaner with behind it and not visible, the wiring loom and box mounted to the rear of the RH tool compartment. (maybe the reason there is no access cover on the LH front ?)...........

Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by defective.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #167351 by werkhorse
Low mounted fuel tank and battery boxes behind ....could this be one Detective ?

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by hayseed.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #167353 by defective
Hi werk .. all the RC 1's had the battery boxes mounted behind the fuel tanks...the CBU's had them mounted lower in behind the recessed American Snyder tanks....Our Aussie steel fuel tanks were manufactured by Wharington in Melbourne Vic. and these later ones had two long stainless steel steps. They were fully round tanks and obviously cheaper to produce...hence the higher position of the battery trays, boxes and (checkerplate) lids

...The TNT/ Bunker banger has a RH cab mounted exhaust pipe...which would match a LH mounted box type air intake....these belonged to our Aussie ones...the CBU's apparently all had a gantry set-up mounted off the chassis. ReTrac mirrors were a later Aussie addition whereas the earliest ones had the painted "bubble back" style with the word "WHITE" written down the face....

...could go on a bit about other minor details, but one thing's for sure...you'd know one of these if you saw one ol' mate !!

More
8 years 1 month ago #167362 by hayseed

werkhorse wrote: Low mounted fuel tank and battery boxes behind ....could this be one Detective ?

Werk, a bit off topic..BUT
whats the Go with the word "Trucklines" on the TNT decal??
I can't say that I've seen one like that before..But there's a lot I haven't seen before.... LOL

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

More
8 years 1 month ago #167363 by overnite
www.hcvc.com.au/forum/attachment/470

From memory this is the model that East Coast Transport of 44 Buffalo Rd Gladesville NSW ran.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #167365 by werkhorse
'Seed ..... a very small division that I know very little about .... TNT Clayton is another, although I do know Clayton was a satellite depot for interstate freight .... Trucklines I believe was at one stage hauling woodchips/wood products .... but seems to have been part of general freight too

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by werkhorse.

More
8 years 1 month ago #167380 by PaulFH
Mid 70's Werk TNT shed on rail line at Westall some IS freight and daily Geelong Country Express truck loaded out of there. Wettenhall's seen loading there. Geelong truck out early each weekday to sub depot
there, town drops and pickups, depot then back via Footscray Rd HQ, then out to Westall. Big day out.
CBU White interesting and rarer truck. All the best, Paul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: werkhorse

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #167404 by defective
...while I'm like a dog with a bloody bone.....there is a pic on facebook of this very truck when operated by Intermodal in around 1977.

...Hopefully a few of the East Cost / Intermodal blokes may recall these imported bangers as they had more than a couple way back then......??

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
8 years 1 month ago #167405 by Swishy
think n our 1974 RC had the White badge lower front of door

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3404/3331144408_fe02ef30f4_z.jpg?zz=1

cya

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

More
8 years 1 month ago #167438 by Sarge
Detecta, I am probably just teasing ya.... these are Bigcam's pics....and deserve another showing...

great pictures of a great truck..... the little contact I had with them (some subbie work with my brother) I remembered them have TUG 345 or similar numbering system....

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.602 seconds