Skip to main content

Fiat trucks

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #193718 by 343cameri
Replied by 343cameri on topic Fiat trucks
Thank you for the pictures. Do you have also some brochures / pecs, or do you know where I can find them?

The Fiat owned by Mr. Bussoletti is a 693 T1, trailer tractor version of the rigid 693 N1. They were 6x4 units, built in 1965-1970, equipped with a Fiat engine type 221, 6 in line, 12.8 liters, developing 210 HP. The Fiat gearbox had 4 low and 4 high gears, to be used in sequence 1L, 1H, 2L, 2H, 3L, 3H, 4L, 4H; for the first time in Fiat production, the exchange from low to high gears was made with a pneumatic control instead of a mechanical (non synchronized) control. It was preceded by the 693 N and 693 T, produced only in 1965-1966, which had different tandem axles at the rear.
It was very common in Italy as construction truck. It was allowed for a gross weight of 18 tons (but overloads up to 30-35 tons were the rule at the time) and a combination weight of up to 40 tons (much more with overload...). I attach the ictures of a unit regularly used until few years ago.
Starting from 1970, it was replaced by the 697 N and 697 T.

Among the photos posted by Swishy:
- the gray one is a Fiat 662 N3, a medium-duty truck built by Fiat in 1970-1973. It had a gross weight of 10 tons, and was equipped with a Fiat engine 8060.02, a 6 in line, 5,1 liters developing 123 HP. The Fiat gearbox had 5 gears. In 1972 it was replaced by the Fiat 110 NC.
- the blue and white flatbed is a 130 NC, produced in 1972-1983. It had a gross weight of 13 tons, and was powered by a 6 in line, 7,4 liters engine (type CP3) developing 148 HP. It was manufactured as 4x2 rigid or 4x2 semitrailed tractor (130 NT). The Fiat gearbox had 5 speeds (but it was available upon request with a 2-speed rear axle, with low speeds to be engaged only when stopped and to be used on difficult terrains). THis unit has been modified by adding a third axle; I would be interested in knowing more about it (is it a one-off modification, or a model regularly proposed by Fiat Trucks Australia?)
- the blue dump truck is a Fiat 170 NC 26, a 170 NC 33 or a 170 NC 35. It was a heavy-duty truck, proposed in Italy only a 4x2 rigid or tractor (in such case the naming was "NT" instead of "NC"). I know that, for Australia and New Zealand, they were modified by replacing the rear Fiat axle with a Hendrickson tandem axle. I am also really interested in knwoing more about these specific models for Australia. The 170 NC 26 was equipped with Fiat 8210.02 engine, a 6 in line, 13.7 liters developing 260 HP, produced in 1975-1978; the 170 NC 33 and 170 NC 35 were equipped with the 8210.02 V8 engine, 17.1 liters, developing respectively 330 HP and 352 HP. The 33 was built in 1975-1977, the 35 in 1977-1978 (but most 33s had the injection system updated to make them into 35s). Gearboxes could be either Fiat 8-speed, or Fuller 13 speed.

This is an overview, if you need more information, feel free to ask.

ya just gotta click on insert to get your photo to pop into place ......... Sarge ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Sarge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Medicated Mick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #193720 by werkhorse
Replied by werkhorse on topic Fiat trucks
I may have some Fiat brochures stashed away in my collection.. I will have a look as soon as I can

You might Laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same

More
5 years 10 months ago #193729 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Fiat trucks
All the Fiats I worked on had the big hub reduction bogie,the back ends were pretty indestructible..........One day John Serafins truck got weighed ,legal at about 19ton,was grossing 27ton..........had a 10cu m body,that carried so much weight it gradually bent to a banana shape.The two speed diff was a license built copy of a No 4 Eaton.,and parts interchange.......The 10l motor was also pretty much the same as the Fiat Allis 14 motor,and I bought a Fiat truck out of a paddock at Tabulam to get a motor for a dozer.The trucks still there,just took the motor and rad for scrap.

More
5 years 10 months ago #193734 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Fiat trucks
Know very little about the marque, other than doing a couple of trips Syd-Bris for W J George many years ago, very underpowered, think they were either the 160 or 190 HP single drives, did it pretty hard going up the old New England, remember that much.
Worked in Express Freights workshop for a spell, subby had the V8 bogie drive on local, can't recall the diff set up, but definitely had the R/Ranger box.
Something funny about the box set up though, either this one or Georges' had the clutch set up in a separate housing, then a very short shaft feeding into the actual box itself.
Very old idea, reckon it may have been upgraded later models with compound cluch/transmission in the one casting.
Would have been around mid to late seventies.
Dave

More
5 years 10 months ago #193746 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Fiat trucks
The Fiat boxes got tossed pretty quickly,and replaced with a RR......The 14 l donks got tossed too.......but 190hp wasnt all bad in 1975..........even Maxidynes were only 235hp,and a lot of trucks had 140/150hp ...........and only a few years before 100 to 120 was common.

More
5 years 10 months ago #193748 by Swanny
Replied by Swanny on topic Fiat trucks
Back in the early 70s when i drove for Bruce Panicci Transport he had a Fiat 110, comfy truck to drive all air system ,air operated clutch good on the left leg after jumping out of a butterbox Acco .Problem was the air compressor s always burning out the valves ,NO AIR no clutch no rangechanger in gearbox and no brakes the mechanic hated that truck always fixing the air compressor

More
5 years 10 months ago #193824 by 343cameri

werkhorse wrote: I may have some Fiat brochures stashed away in my collection.. I will have a look as soon as I can

Thank you! It would be really a great finding for me!

Here I start submitting two specs of Fiat trucks (unfortunately in Italian only), I will provide more later on:
Fiat 693 T1 (like the one owned by Mr. Bussoletti)

Fiat 662 N3 (like the gray one)
Attachments:

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #193825 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Fiat trucks
I have a full 1914 FIAT Australian sales book with all their models. They had a huge range of trucks being sold here. The Australian Army in France in WW1 had hundreds of FIAT trucks, reportedly much more popular than the British Leyland/Thornycroft etc fleet.

Here are a few pages of the Australian brochure, unfortunately not good colours for scanning. FIAT had a full range of small and large cars right up to the largest trucks on the road - the Kenworths of their day.

Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Lang.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Medicated Mick, wouldyou

More
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #193909 by 343cameri
Lang, thank you, that brochure from 1914 is something totally new for me and very interesting.

Here below two specs about Fiat 130 NC (standard rigid version, without capability of pulling a trailer, with 5-speed gearbox) and 130 NR (version designed for pulling a drawbar trailer, still with 5-speed gearbox, but with 2-speed Eaton rear axle). "130" stays for the overall weight (13 tons), "N" stays for diesel ("nafta"), "C" stays for flatbed ("cabinato"), "R" stays for drawbar trailer ("Rimorchio").
130 NC was manufactured only as 4x2. The blue-and-white unit with 3 axles, shown in a picture seen last week, was modified in Australia

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 10 months ago by 343cameri. Reason: Add info

More
5 years 5 months ago #196901 by xspanrman
Replied by xspanrman on topic Fiat trucks
NMP Fred Sutherland posted this photo on Facebook and stated that Sutherland's had 2 of these Fiats and they were a reliable truck.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.576 seconds