Skip to main content

PAKISTAN TRUCK ART

• grumpy
  • Topic Author
  • If it's got t*ts, tires or tracks, don't mess with it.
More
6 years 9 months ago #184331 by grumpy
PAKISTAN TRUCK ART was created by grumpy
They love their Bedphids.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick Smith

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #184346 by Roderick Smith
Replied by Roderick Smith on topic PAKISTAN bus art.
I've had this one up before, but the search engine can't find it. At the time, I think that the group opinion was Isuzu. Certainly not Mercedes: those emblems are part of the decoration.
B&w is the only version scanned and available fast.
881228W Quetta (Pakistan): Bus. R Smith. I had all day on this, through Bolan Pass to Sibi.

Roderick

Attachments:

More
6 years 9 months ago #184357 by Roderick Smith
Updated from my Apr.06 item in 'Rail News Victoria'.

Pakistan-theme Z1.81: In advance of the 2006 Commonwealth Games (held in Melbourne), the people responsible for establishing links between Melbourne's and Kolkata's (India) tram systems obtained support to decorate Z1.81 (formerly green) in the style of a Pakistan bus: highly ornate, with intricate detail, lots of colour, lots of coloured lights, tassels and mirrors. It would then be based at Southbank Depot, and run on the city circle for the duration of the games, with performing conductors telling tales of Karachi's most-colourful bus route (W11). As at 1960, Karachi had diesel trams. Eight craftsmen worked for 6 weeks in Karachi to prepare the intricate transfers, using skills passed on for generations. Four craftsmen spent 5 weeks at UG (Preston) applying them over a white background. The result is reminiscent of the best of the pop-art trams from a few years ago. (6.3.06 Melbourne HS).
The tram arrived at Southbank on Sat.11.3.06 night. On Mon.13.3, Z1.22 was in use on route 96 for the training of the three Southbank drivers who would be operating 81. The launching ceremony was held in William St at Dudley St around 12.00 on Tues.14.3, with various officials and cultural representatives, the craftsmen and guests attending. After the speeches were made, everyone boarded to travel to Market St to shunt, then clockwise around the city circle to Federation Square. Souvenir tickets, printed in English and Urdu, were distributed. Pakistani music was played on a 'ghetto blaster'. Pakistani tea (milked & sugared) was served. Daily running commenced on Wednesday, and was to last to Sun.26.3. The tram was an instant hit, and was brought back for a second season over the Grand Prix weekend: Wed.29.3-Mon.3.4. See www.tramtactic.net/W-11 .
Despite all the work, the tram received no further use. Because of restricted visibility, it had to run with a two-person crew. Even so, it could have run a season per year (eg Labour Day long weekend). After languishing for years, it has been offered for preservation (at Hawthorn?).

Enclosed:
060314Tu - William St at Dudley St, the launching ceremony, then riding along William St. (Roderick Smith)

Roderick

Attachments:

More
6 years 9 months ago #184363 by Southbound
Thanks for the pix of the Bedfords Grumpy. B) So who out there in forum land knows all about these fine looking lorries? Are the cabs on Bedford chassis? Why are they jacked up so high? And is the home built cabin extensions for decorations or possibly a FB sleeper bunk? :blink:

I'd rather have tools that I don't need, than not have the tools I do need.

More
6 years 9 months ago #184364 by Blackduck59
Have seen their helpers riding on top of the cab.
When carting hay it is right up over the cab and over the sides and rear.

Time to create page: 0.489 seconds