Skip to main content

Spicer 20 spd

More
6 years 7 months ago #187237 by neily
Spicer 20 spd was created by neily
Hi all. I've got a spicer box sitting here that I'm trying to sus out, from what I can gather from google they are realistically only a 12 sp anyone have some knowledge about em. 1420-3b sst 20. Thinking about using it to replace an old 15 rr but don't think I'm gonna gain much from what I can work out, better of going 13 or 18rr. Cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #187241 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Spicer 20 spd
Neily
Gudday m8
not sure wot U wanna achieve
A RR 18 double O/D can give U 0.86 0.73 @ the top end
Wot truck n power is it for?

cya

ยง

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Swishy.

More
6 years 7 months ago #187243 by neily
Replied by neily on topic Spicer 20 spd
Hi Swishy, road boss 892. Just thinking at this point but wouldn't mind changing the box to get some closer gears, pretty big gaps between the last few cogs with a 15. It works I guess but a 13 for eg would be a lot better, the box is getting a bit sad and just wondering if the spicer is a cheap option but not sure. How many gears do you actually get with a 20? From what I can gather only 12 which isn't much better than the 10 I have already.

• Swishy
More
6 years 7 months ago #187245 by Swishy
Hi Neily
not up 2 speed on a 20 spicer
A 15 is close ratios in low range n wide step in hi range
a 13 = tuther way around
A 13 is wide stepd in low range n close stept in hi range
but it U cut to the chase n fit a duble O/D 18
with 4.56 RSend 100kph in top = 1700 rpm (+ or -)50
is your beast a work truck or sho truck?
cya
ยง

• Swishy
More
6 years 7 months ago #187252 by Swishy

More
6 years 7 months ago - 6 years 7 months ago #187255 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Spicer 20 spd
Neily,
Drove a 8/92 powered Spicer 20 speed many years ago, highway set up. About the only thing I can remember about them is that there were a couple of combinations that were very close together, especially when you get into the lower gears. Maybe that's why they reckon that realistically there are only 12 "progressive"speeds??
Think that the actual Spicer drivers handbook may have even recommended that you practice 'skip-shifting'. Must have been something in the way that Spicer designed their ratios, even going back to their earlier twin stick compound boxes, it was quite common that in say a 16 speed (4X4), some ratios in one set of gears were almost identical to the next lower main/aux shift. Not all, but in some of the 8016/8516 boxes for sure.
(Think that was for buffoon drivers like me who missed a gear, could always pick the next one up without coming to a stop!)
Reading that Spicer ad that Swishy posted, reckon that is possibly the second series of 20 speeds released. Hence the bit about 10 speeds 'on-hiway', 10 speeds 'off-hiway'. First series (I think) was a simple 5 speed wide ratio box with air operated close ratio 'compound' glued to the back, may have even been available in both direct and overdrive versions, again, in the rear section.
Long time ago and don't mind being corrected.
Last edit: 6 years 7 months ago by Dave_64.

More
6 years 7 months ago #187298 by allan
Replied by allan on topic Spicer 20 spd
Repair manual is at
partsmanuals.org/spicerservicemanuals/Spicer-HD-14-&-20-Speed-Service-Manual.pdf

It includes ratios and shift instructions.

Attachments:

More
6 years 7 months ago #187319 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Spicer 20 spd
The Spicer T/C boxes had a special shaped shifter clutch for the range change,they didnt have a cone synchro assy like the R/R s.The Spicers didnt seem to be on the market for that long,wonder if parts are available.Rockwell also had a go at T/C boxes ,didnt see many of them either.IMHO,the beauty of R/Rs is the cheap parts. Ratio spacing around 33% is ideal,cause you need the ratios spaced for the low range ,not just high.There was also a Spicer T/C with a splitter in front,giving the effect of a extra O/D split.

More
6 years 7 months ago #187322 by neily
Replied by neily on topic Spicer 20 spd
Hey, she's only a farm banger still earns its keep at harvest time though. Im pretty sure it's an old Clutha truck. Mm starting to look like the 13/18 would be the go I think. I'll keep her going as is until I find a cheap a trailer than I might have to reassess, its gonna hate that! Mabe I should put some bigger carrots in it :).
What's people's thoughts on selling the spicer, would anyone want one?

More
6 years 6 months ago #187327 by busman
Replied by busman on topic Spicer 20 spd
I have a good 6 speed I took out of VP as I found a 7 speed, but no nibbles at $1000 so I would wish you luck.
Seems they all want ones that read P N and D these days, forgotten how to change gears.

84 Austral Tourmaster with 6V92 and now 7 speed Eaton-Fuller, converted to motorhome "Vanishing Point" after a favourite American movie.
3 Kw solar 800 Ah Lithium house battery pack, all engine cooling done by the sun. Water injection for hot days and hill climbs.

Time to create page: 0.529 seconds