Skip to main content

The Apparition

• BillyP
  • Topic Author
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #189134 by BillyP
The Apparition was created by BillyP
.Moved my question from Daves custom built thread..............I thort I might have hi-jacked it.............

But I don't know how we ended up here?????????????????????????

The Apparition from Overnites question...............

My question was................Before the tanks were Aztec ........who owned them..........what were they called........what color were they..........
..........................Billy...........................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by BillyP.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #189141 by overnite
Replied by overnite on topic The Apparition
Pozzolanic?

• BillyP
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago #189144 by BillyP
Replied by BillyP on topic The Apparition
Pozzolanic...........yep, that is one name that springs to mind.................
........................Billy..........................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

More
6 years 4 months ago #189159 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic The Apparition
Slightly off topic also, but same stable, didn't Aztec have a few of those belly-emptying "IBIS" tankers??

• Swishy
  • Away
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
6 years 4 months ago #189162 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic The Apparition
When John Horswell's Apparition was first sighted on the highways of New South Wales, it probably caused more commotion than if a UFO had landed on the Sydney Opera House and aliens had stolen the roof tiles.
Underneath this smart new mutant lies a Ford Louisville LNT9000 conventional, built in ’79, which John bought in '86. He’d signed on as a subbie with Aztec, to haul bulk cement powder, and though the truck had the best part of a million kms on the clock, was fine for starting out on the job to see if he could make ends meet. With the contract going well, but missing a sleeper for nights showing signs of serious tin worm, John had to make an important decision. For most owner-drivers the choice would have boiled down to a pair of options: either fit a new cab or buy a new truck. In John’s case buying a new truck was out of the question. Getting a new cab was also expensive, besides which replacing the LNT cab wouldn’t have given him a sleeper, as there was no room to squeeze a Ford LTL sleeper cab onto the chassis. John then considered a pretty unique third option: building a new cab himself, to his own design and specification.

Not wanting to fall foul of the red tape bureaucrats, John talked his ideas over with his state department of transport. All they required was that John’s new cab should match the ADR compliance of his old ’79 Louisville. To check the design was up to scratch technically, he had the drawing gone over by engineering consultant Bob Buckley. Meanwhile, by day, John continued hauling for Aztec. By night and at weekends his new cab gradually began to take shape in the workshop. The frame was MIG-welded into one rigid piece from 0.75 in x 0.75 in tubular steel. Cross braces were made from 0.5 in accept all the wiring, John began cladding the shell with 18 gauge Zincaneal panel sheeting. In spite of the solid construction of the cab, it’s by no means overweight, as one might expect of a home-brewed wagon. The rig tares off at 8.94 tonnes, or half a tonne lighter than a W900 Kenworth Aerodyne.
The tilting hood, which gives access to the radiator and batteries, was made from fiberglass and mounted on a steel frame. John fabricated the doors, fitted with International locks, handles and hinges. Glass is laminated throughout, for better safety and, since it's all flat, is easily and cheaply replaced for just around £50 a pane. Surprisingly, working out how to get the wipers to wipe properly took a huge amount of work.
In June '87, John took the ageing Louisville off the road to begin the long and complicated process of marrying the cab shell to the chassis. Considerable attention was paid to getting the weight distribution just right. John wanted a 5.5 tonne loading on the steer axle all the time, 16.5 tonnes on the drivers and 20 tonnes on the tri-axle trailer.

The Cummins Big Cam 1 motor that sits under the cab was sent off to Newtons Diesel for a rebuild. So were the Fuller 15-speed Roadranger and diffs. John wanted to do the job properly and not have his new truck sidelined by mechanical problems after going to all the trouble with the cab. However, he has also ensured that Cat, Detroit or newer Cummins motors will slot in under the new superstructure for the day when a new powerplant is necessary.
John didn’t stint on the necessities or luxuries a driver both needs and wants. The driving position offers excellent vision, both from its high viewpoint and the positioning of the screen pillars. With his mechanical background John likes to know exactly what's going on in the engine room and mechanicals department of his truck. It’s also important to him to know how the changed airflow is affecting his truck, too, and to this end there are VDO instruments worth about £1500 plumbed in to the dash.
These include temperature gauges for both diffs, the gearbox and engine as well as the exhaust, fuel and ambient air temperature. Other dials include boost, volts and a Murphy gauge. He's also fitted a VDO cruise control and fuel consumption meter, as well as a VDO engine protection pack.
At the end of a long day the sleeper comes close to offering the luxury of a five-star hotel. The bed’s huge, and there’s enough height in the Aerodyne-styled roof to let one stand up to dress and undress. What's more, John has even installed a shower with a 60 litre hot water tank, warmed by waste engine heat!
To ensure that the cab doesn’t succumb to rust as badly as its forerunner, John rustproofed the shell with Tectrol and the exterior has been finished off in Berger two-pack Permacron. The interior upholstery, in blue fabric, was handled by Tony Kerr, of Kdumba Upholstery.
John got his creation on the road in February ’88. The Apparition met for the most part with a mixture of admiration, envy and awe. Naturally there were a few detractors and pessimists, who predicted that the thing would shake itself to pieces over Australia's rough roads. But one year later, and with well over 100,000kms under the crank, John’s Apparition has been a constant sighting on the highways of New South Wales and the critics have had to eat their words.

Thanx 2 Google

YourWellCum

Cya

§

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyP, craig308, Dave_64, roKWiz

• BillyP
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #189165 by BillyP

overnite wrote: Pozzolanic?

Here is a bit about Pozzolanic......However was it started by the now Cement Australia (then maybe Blue circle or Southern cement ) ..........
Trying to check on cement companies is difficult as they now all seem to be intermingled some where along the line........(like we don't know who has paid)

Dave ...yes.... Aztec did have some IBIS tanks................

But.......where did Aztec come from before BMI................
...............................Billy..............................

Attachments:
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by BillyP.

• BillyP
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #189167 by BillyP
.Something seem to be amiss here ....................
I moved my question from Custom built comment..to ...
Drive about truck pics...........( where it stayed for a few hours)
Then it came up under a new heading of.......... The Apparition..............(again for a few hours)
Now it has gone to a new heading Drive about truck pics..... that appears to be a double up of the original
Drive about truck pics.............this is very confusing............What have I done???????????????
.................Billy....................

( so now there appears to be two separate... Drive about truck pics sites)

Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by BillyP. Reason: Thread appears to haved moved to new sites)

More
6 years 4 months ago #189168 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic The Apparition
Billy,

Not sure you did anything wrong.

I split the this into its own subject, The Apparition' this morning after about 5 posts and that was normal, but how it got its name changed back to 'Drive About...' I am not sure how or why that happened. I have renamed it back again as it is an interesting truck worth its own topic and could get lost in the Drive About thread over time.

Terry
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyP

• BillyP
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago #189170 by BillyP
.A couple more from Dr Google.....................

......................Billy......................

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: craig308, Dave_64, roKWiz, xspanrman

More
6 years 4 months ago #189176 by oliver1950
Replied by oliver1950 on topic The Apparition
Does anyone know where it is now?

You can't have too many toys!