Skip to main content

Cop a Load of This

More
5 years 5 months ago #196757 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Cop a Load of This
I think someone told me the Scammel was the one from Plainland......Ive seen it there many times,and I used to wonder if it still had the motor in it......The council WS&S had a lot of Federal 604 s too,they all seem to have disappeared......I do remember a Ford Blitz and a Ford Jeep being sold at Brekky Creek that came from the Somerset dam....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Swishy
  • Topic Author
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 4 months ago #196935 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Cop a Load of This

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
5 years 4 months ago #196948 by Mrsmackpaul
Replied by Mrsmackpaul on topic Cop a Load of This
Im not saying nothing encase a photo of me turns up

Paul

Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

More
5 years 4 months ago #196955 by Dodgeydude
Replied by Dodgeydude on topic Cop a Load of This
Paul sometimes it is better to just own up !!

Missus kept saying "How many are you going to put on?" Answer as always "Just one more". Just a light touch on the brake coming to the driveway and it was sitting on the nose. FWD so I just kept idling along the last few hundred metres.

Many useful things fall off trucks
Attachments:

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #197027 by mercskeepmeinajob
A little while back John,K was torquing about the BCC Scammell, Almost 1000% sure they only bought the one in 1945 from 4 Motor Vehicle park @ Upper Mt Gravatt for 1200 pound. Here she is on the Brekky creek bridge helping a truck with a rear wheel missing get back on its feet. It was retired to the Tramway museum in 1982 or more basically put off the road by Machinery Department.

You mentioned about W.S & S. Federals, I worked on one in Works Department in 1978 it was sold to Rocklea Carrying in 1979. I didn't know Dept of Transport had a couple as well to move the rails for the trams around. This second one is a Transport Dept Federal on Coronation Drive opposite the Head Office/ Workshops.

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by mercskeepmeinajob. Reason: Adding details of Scammell
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, xspanrman

More
5 years 4 months ago #197028 by Brocky45
Replied by Brocky45 on topic Cop a Load of This
Am I seeing things or is that Federal in the last picture LEFT hand drive???

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #197030 by JOHN.K.
All LHD......with the original 10 ton Trail;mobile trailer...........as I remember the last council one mentioned had only one diffcentre,and still towed a float...........I saw it sold ,Phil Peachey bought the lot for $15k,and then resold the truck .The last council truck also had a later Cummins fitted....the WW2 motors had no damper ,and broke cranks if overrevved.....the council electricity dept.later taken over into the SEA also had Federals and floats for shifting transformers and generators...they also had a LF195 petrol,apparently it was only used for light work.
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by JOHN.K..

More
5 years 4 months ago #197031 by JOHN.K.
So what happened to the Scammel from Plainlands?.............I remember reading something about it in the paper years ago..........suppose its been scrapped.

More
5 years 4 months ago #197035 by mercskeepmeinajob
Don't know of a Scammell at Plainlands. When would that have been are we talking opposite the Sundowner Hotel? I remember the Federal driving for a while around with only the one diff and the new one turned up brand new 35 year old wrapped with greased paper in a wooden box. It was sold with both diffs working in 79 as far a s I knew. Was it sold to Peacheys' of Pimpama? When I asked the driver of the Federal who moved up to the Mack FR700 he told me Rocklea bought it. Had also a dolly that went with the Drake trailer. Watching them load the dolly on the trailer and an African guy was giving directions and told the driver to move it to the right, in frustration he was told "Its not a f-ken elephant it won't change feet and move sideways"

More
5 years 4 months ago #197038 by JOHN.K.
Its hard to place it now,but the Scammel was beside a little shop,about 1 mile closer to Gatton,on the Mt Tarampa side of the road............When was the pic on the bridge taken?....early sixties ,I d guess.....just where the truck is was a bad offcamber curve,I remember one of Aitkins RE29 Albions tipped over there.,and Charlie Fogarty lost a dragline off a float just outside the pub.

Time to create page: 0.629 seconds