Skip to main content

Evolution

More
5 years 10 months ago #193613 by Tired Iron
Evolution was created by Tired Iron
Folks
When I was a kid, seems AB Line Internationals were everywhere. 182's with Perkins single axle trailers, 184's with Cummins and tandem axles.
Sales figures will surely tell me a fair few Dodges were around too. There were Commer/Chrysler (?) around too.
AEC Monarchs and such were being phased out, as were similar Leyland models-in fact I can't recall seeing any Leylands on the highway.
I'm thinking maybe 1964/65.
There were still a few earlier Inters about for a good while, AA Line with single axle trailers, and numerous AS/AL etc body trucks.
Kenworths were real flash, and Macks were maybe not so flash, but mysterious with that strange (to me) Quad box transmission and that no nonesense look.
Kenworth looked show pony (little did I know) and Mack looked purposeful-at least I got that right.
1418 Benz were considered too expensive by my limited (kid) circle of AB Inter folks.
Then the ACCO came along about the same time as the C line?
Both short door and later long door with o'drive box, but both still with Perkins?
Then they too disappeared?
Bonneted Transtars were popular, but they then seem to have been all overtaken by V8 Cumins Accos?
Is my timeline close to correct?
Why were 1418 Benz considered too expensive?
Was it a service thing for country operators?
Historians, and those that long for the (not so) good old days, need to know.
Yes, I bought Atki Pete's book, loaned it and .... and
Cheers

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 10 months ago #193617 by PaulFH
Replied by PaulFH on topic Evolution
Well Tired Iron, 50 years and more have shown us a lot. One of my own conclusions is that we have suffered from
wanting to buy everything as cheap as possible. Evidence is how many goods are now imported cheaply made.
The early inters, AA and AB were really powered as a tray truck. Many with the 281 and 282 motors were put to
work pulling single and even tandem trailers Standard petrol was cheap so the later AB's thirst was accepted for
better performance. Of course a lot of small operators made a living from these cheaper units.
Some of the established companies had enough forsight and capital to purchase quality units like the Macks,
Kenworths, Transtars etc. and their history appears on this forum at times.
Fast forward to the early diesel days and the cheaper Loui's and 3070's powered with the 903 Cummins.
Pour the fuel in and go, again made good money for some. What about the poor drivers?
The 1418 Benz was known as a good " owner driver truck " or good for a reliable steady driver. One owner told me
" A good truck but had to put a bag over the headlights so it could'nt see the hills. " The 2 speed diff could be easily
damaged so many were given an Eaton transplant. Don't know about parts costs but Benz usually pricey here.
Again a lower powered truck put to work on bogie and spread trailers. Some fitted with a lazy and pulled triaxles.
Bit like the astronauts mentioning that the spacecraft was made by the lowest of 3 tenders.
Just some observations made on our transport industry - I accept that others' views may differ. Paul.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.381 seconds