Skip to main content

Steelweld truck

More
5 years 9 months ago #194779 by Dave_64
Steelweld truck was created by Dave_64
Meant to add to the posts about the "island cabs" or "Long Toms" as they were called, depending where you came from.
Had been mentioned that these "specials" also included the offset to one side cabbed trucks, most I've seen were either crane carriers or at least started life like that.
Mob I worked for over the West before retiring, had one set up as a water cart, still had the "extended cab" offset, i.e. two seats, one behind the other, obviously for when you had both a driver as well as the crane operator.
Had a 6 cylinder Nissan (U.D.??) engine with an Allison slosh box. Still had the "Steelweld" moniker on the front, only drove it a cupla times. I assume that Steelweld made the original crane mechanism, but wouldn't know if they made the actual cab/chassis. Quite possibly so, as it was really of very basic design, simply a rectangular box.
Had quite a large tank on it and was only used on the roads inside the mine area. Never kept a photo, either.
Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #194824 by jeffo
Replied by jeffo on topic Steelweld truck
Steelweld was a mobile crane manufacturer, typically pin jib.
Maros had one way back in the olden days, crane power was 6345 Perkins.
Carrier could have had a 5-cylinder UD??
Not much grunt for such tare weight so it got floated anywhere distant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
5 years 9 months ago #194830 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Steelweld truck
Jeffo,
Pretty sure I recall seeing "Nissan Diesel" stamped on the rocker box cover, but could well be wrong.
Do remember it being also very low geared, even with the water tank filled it took a while to get any decent road speed out of it, but on the main haul roads you were limited to 25-30kph, so was probably ideal for that application.
Don't think I'd fancy driving it on the road from Kalgoolie to the minesite, perhaps why it was floated up!!
Dave.

More
5 years 9 months ago #194832 by John D
Replied by John D on topic Steelweld truck
Hello Dave 64, back in the late 70's I reped for a company selling Unic mobile cranes and they were mounted on Nissan carriers with the tandem cab. I think the engines were rated at 260 HP and with their overall weight,low gearing and governed engine speed were flat out at 67 Km on a good day. Regards John d

More
5 years 9 months ago #194833 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Steelweld truck
UD chassis were common on Aus built cranes...........used to see them in the wreckers with the crane deck off,and for sale....Now Mitsubishi chassis seem more common.....or Zoomlion.

More
5 years 9 months ago #194928 by Blackduck59
Replied by Blackduck59 on topic Steelweld truck
Saw a fairly new Mitsi Fuso 3/4 cab today. 8 Wheeler and about as long as they get.
Cheers Steve

Time to create page: 0.506 seconds