Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Missing Dodge Question

Missing Dodge Question 18 Sep 2018 06:45 #196033

• oliver1950
  • Thank you received: 82
It was sold to me as a Ford Cargo.I'll refer to it as a D Series from now on.
You can't have too many toys!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Missing Dodge Question 18 Sep 2018 06:57 #196034

• Lang
  • Thank you received: 565
Those military ratings are a bit of a mystery when compared with the civilian equivalent.

The Ford is a C/L truck which means Clean Load and this type of vehicle is basically restricted to formed surfaces and not to be used off-road unless absolutely necessary. The army weight rating not only takes into account the manufacturer's figures but includes input from army acceptance trials which require the truck to be able to perform to certain speeds and start on specified steep slopes with a full load. The trucks are often de-rated to meet these performance standards. Of course, nobody in the army has ever seen a weighbridge so whatever fits goes in the back and despite attempts to calculate loads they occasionally exceed the army rating while remaining inside the manufacturer's warranty load.

The Army had many of these Fords, Internationals etc and continue to this day. The trucks are so non-tactical you now see the Isuzus, Mitsubishis etc painted white with army markings because they get very much more for them at auction than dirty green ones. The same reasoning for police cars of all colours just marked with removable stickers instead of fully painted like in the old days.

Tactical (off-road) vehicles have two load ratings. For instance, the old GMC and Studebaker 6x6 of the WW2 era are universally called 2 1/2 ton and many people believed the 3 ton Blitz could carry more. The GMC is actually 2 1/2 ton cross country and 6 ton on formed surfaces while the British rating of the Blitz starts and ends at 3 ton.

Lang
Last Edit: 18 Sep 2018 06:59 by Lang.

Missing Dodge Question 18 Sep 2018 17:51 #196040

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 123
The army had both D400 with 240 petrols,Late D400s with diesels,and Cargo s with the 380 Cargo motor.........these were a bit differnt to the D series diesel motors,they had bigger oilpumps and piston sprays,and although they had the same size block and head,had a much longer sump(also had bigger headbolts)..............just remembered something,the late D series were called D0812s ,or something like that,and had alloy dropside trays,same as the Carg os................in fact I think Ford supplied them on the same contract as the Cargo s.,and the army didnt make any difference between them.
Last Edit: 18 Sep 2018 17:58 by JOHN.K..

Missing Dodge Question 18 Sep 2018 20:45 #196041

• overnite
  • Thank you received: 65
From Memory the Cargos had a slant motor, but I could be wrong. When the Cargos were new I remember the sales brochure saying , If we can design a front wheel cover that looks this good, imagine how good the truck is. The front wheel cover did look good, but the trucks were sh*t.

Missing Dodge Question 18 Sep 2018 21:02 #196042

• JOHN.K.
  • Thank you received: 123
All the D series and Cargo Ford diesels were slant.motors..........but in the early D series ,you could also get a 354 perkins,in some models ,and in the D1000 a V8 Perkins,or later a 185 Cummins....the 4sp box was a Borg warner,early on they had Turner 5sp boxes,which were a POS,but an American Clark could also be fitted.......The late Ds and the Cargoes had the "suitcase boxes"....which were made in Germany ,by Eaton?.......But by the time euro Ford trucks was sold to Fiat,Cummins and Roadrangers were options.,and the trucks already had a fair Italian content.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds

Historic Commercial Vehicles Club of Australia Inc.  Post: P.O. Box 2020 Bayswater Vic. 3153    Clubrooms: Unit 8 / 4  Macquarie Place Boronia    Club Phone: 0400 025 525