Skip to main content

Long Forgotten Transport Companies

More
5 years 7 months ago #196090 by Dave_64
Lang, p/m sent. Dave

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #200285 by Fred in Geelong
Another old name in transport was Purnells from Geelong. When my dad started drivin' trucks in '48 he worked for Purnells. They used ta do a lota work to and from the wharves and big rolls of Newsprint for the Geelong Addy. The big shed in South Geelong where The Big Shed furniture store was until recently, usedta be a bottle factory, and when we were down there one day he said how the drivers usedta write their names on the roof beams. He said Mines just there, and sure enough it was. That was probably about 55 years after the fact, yet l have trouble rememberin' what l had fa lunch!! I think Chocs might know about the Purnell's as well.

More
1 year 8 months ago #238105 by Steve L
Swishy, I just posted on this forum finishing with not much around referring to Kennelly, then I stumble on your post.
I was with Kennelly’s, spent time in Bougainville in the 60s then purchased my first truck from him when he folded. He had some fairly impressive heavy equipment for the day. He also had as many flintstones as F models and three B models. The cab overs were the choice for floats due to length restrictions. He had non sleeper F models and 3 V8 F models - 2 250hp and a 285 turbo which my father drove. They were all quad boxes with crossover steering very big jiggers for the day. Remember they were all white with red guards sporting a boomerang and spears on the door. I’ll have to dig up some pics. I remember seeing a pic of one of his F models towing a float coming up Bell st with the front wheels off the ground.

Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH

More
1 year 8 months ago #238106 by Steve L
Hi Dave,
Kennelly’ may have been in Bougainville 66, I got there in 67 (6 months after my father) till 69. In that time Kennelly was the only transport operator on the island, my father was operations manager. Brambles may have amalgamated around 1970. After we left in 69 a yank Sid Shaw took the reins, I don’t think he was a Brambles guy. Even though I kept in touch with some aussies in Bougainville and a few drivers returned to Adelaide after me I had no hint of Brambles involvement until returned equipment from Bougainville displayed Brambles Kennelly’s signage around 72-73. By then I think Kennelly’s fate was written on the wall over another matter.

Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulFH, xspanrman

More
1 year 8 months ago #238246 by overnite
Burmiesters Freight Lines 56 Adderley st Lidcome NSW

Time to create page: 0.454 seconds