Skip to main content

Hub and wheel installation

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #196626 by Lang
While looking at stuff for Jon on his Bedford disc wheels I came across this very interesting and clear info on spider wheel fitting. The thing that stood out was the fact the clamps do not have to come in against the spiders but can be "floating". I have often seen fitters whacking away with a big rattle gun to distort the clamps and bolts enough to get them sitting up tight on the spiders.

www.khitch.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Hub...M-003-0310-Rev-1.pdf
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #196630 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Hub and wheel installation
It means the spacer is too wide for the spider.....and was common with early Louisvilles.with the Aust made SLHD axles.....The spiders also used to break down in the area up against the brake drum...With 10.00 s on 7.5" rims and 4" spacer ,the lugs would barely overlap the spokes,and the studs were sticking out a mile....All the machinery inspectors were car mechanics from the state motor garage,and never knew any better.

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #196657 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Hub and wheel installation
John

I think a clamp heel gap is almost essential as the wheel people say above, and the spacer is not too wide. If the heel of the clamp came up against the spider at any time before full nose pressure is achieved you are then cranking pressure on the heel and the wheels could well be loose as it stops the nose of the clamp diving into the rim wedge space to push the outside rim across. As they say, if you keep cranking in that situation you start bending wheel studs to achieve nose pressure.

Lang

1.1.3 Rim Clamps –
Caution:
DO NOT OVER TORQUE THE RIM CLAMP IN AN ATTEMPT TO MAKE CLAMP CONTACT
THE WHEEL. Rim clamps do not have to heel. Over torque can deform the rim
spacer band and damage the back flange.
Attempting to make a clamp heel can severely damage the clamp and the rim stud.
Two types of rim clamps are available - one is cast, the other forged. Although these
two types of clamps do not appear the same, they are used for the same purpose.
Rim clamps may be furnished in either of two configurations, a heel type or heel-less.
Both are shown in Figure 4. Cast rim clamps are available in either heel or heel-less
configuratio
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Lang.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 6 months ago #196658 by Swishy
Replied by Swishy on topic Hub and wheel installation

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.396 seconds