Skip to main content

Bogie Drives in OZ

More
5 years 2 months ago #198310 by Dave_64
Replied by Dave_64 on topic Bogie Drives in OZ
And I reckon that’s as good an answer as we’ll get unless someone can come up with as convincing an argument. Thanks, Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #198311 by Gryphon
Replied by Gryphon on topic Bogie Drives in OZ
Hi,

the Websters dictionary describes it as;

" the driving-wheel assembly consisting of the rear four wheels of a 6-wheel automotive truck"

The Collins dictionary mostly talks about the railway context, not trucks.

Terry

More
5 years 2 months ago #198312 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Bogie Drives in OZ
Lang,
I know you have researched Michael Terry's expeditions but most of the literature I have found states a start date for the Morris Commercial D Type Six Wheeler, as the factory called it, of October 1926. The earliest survivor in Britain is chassis number 052 which they say has been positively identified as having been built in November 1926. I have the remains of chassis 032, so that must date from 1926 (or 1925? if your information is correct)

In his first reply, Swishy showed a photo of my chassis 650 on a mates banana back. I believe this was built in 1927. Swishy's next photo is of Graham Pollard's 1937 English Ford.

I am not aware of the tandem drive Morris being offered as a prime mover.

The reduction box had a-and-a-half-to-one reduction and could not be changed on the move. It was for the Army, who specified that the vehicle "Must carry two thirds of it's maximum capacity at two thirds of it's cruising speed across a freshly plowed field"

Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64, Lang

More
5 years 2 months ago #198313 by JOHN.K.
Replied by JOHN.K. on topic Bogie Drives in OZ
believe it or not,the Sentinel had the differential in the crankshaft of the two cylinder engine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #198319 by Lang
Replied by Lang on topic Bogie Drives in OZ
Morris

I will look a bit more at the Terry vehicles. I seem to recall he was given them as a promotion from the company as he was with the GUY half tracks for his Darwin expedition.

He did use basically the same type of Morris vehicles but 4 wheelers in later expeditions. He writes glowingly about the Morris trucks.

He was very good at getting sponsorship so possibly Morris gave him very early vehicles to help promote their cause for future sales - particularly with the military. They would have thought Australia would be a big market.

I will try to find the brochure or ad I saw offering the truck as a trailer hauler - as I said, I have never seen a photo of such an outfit.

Do you have a machine rolling yet?

Lang
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Lang.

More
5 years 2 months ago #198320 by Lang
Morris

You are absolutely right on the dates.

I transposed Michael Terry dates. The Guy expedition was 1925 and the first Morris expedition (6-wheelers) was 1928.

I will put up a thread on Terry as all Australians should know about this bloke. Everyone knows about Birtles but Terry has a much more substantial record of Australian expeditions with vehicles.

Lang

More
5 years 2 months ago #198335 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Bogie Drives in OZ
Lang,
My Morris Commercial D Type Six Wheeler (Chassis number 650) is still little further progressed than when you saw it at Longwarry a couple of years ago. Since then I restored the steering wheel, headlights and side lights and spent a lot of time restoring the instruments, and had stored it in a mate's factory when an employee of the tenant managed to burn down the all-steel shed!

The tenant lost a spray booth, compressor and lots of tools, at least eight cars and a truck, mostly owned by customers, and the landlord lost three Utes, one which had just been restored and put into the factory only two days before the fire, a forklift and many tools, machinery and equipment. He also had two trucks and a tractor badly damaged.

I lost a welder and chainsaw. The Morris was badly heat affected, all the aluminium sump, two gearboxes and headlight & sidelight rims were badly corroded. The instruments were smoke damaged and the newly painted faces yellowed. The tyres are not badly scorched and may be still usable.

After all the work I had put into it, I was very disheartened and could not take the tarp off it for two months. I have not done any work on any of my vehicles for more than a year and am helping my mate rebuild the factory.

Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

More
5 years 2 months ago #198339 by Lang
So sorry to hear about that disaster.

Don't lose heart, it will be worth the effort to complete it.

Lang

More
4 years 3 months ago #204998 by V8Ian
Replied by V8Ian on topic Bogie Drives in OZ
I would hazard a guess that the description of the Morris as a prime mover, would be in the context of it being able to tow a four axle dog trailer. Semis were a rarity in Pommie land until the sixties. Right into the seventies, a truck and dog, or in their vernacular, waggon and drag, was the largest and most popular combination.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris

Time to create page: 0.506 seconds