Skip to main content

Thornycroft Nubian 4x4 Airfield Crash Tender

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #198516 by Nirpro
In 2012 (3rd February) there appears to have been comment on this Forum regarding an Ebay ad for the sale of a Thornycroft Nubian 4 x 4 Airfield Fire Tender. I only saw the post the other day and I am assuming that this vehicle was the ex HMAS Nirimba unit. If it wasn't then everything offered from here will be wrong. On the premise that it was the Nirimba unit: It was purchased in 2013 by an ex NSWFB fireman who had been in the Navy in the 60s and had operated this truck. The intent was to restore it but, unfortunately, he passed away in 2017 and his widow offered it to the Coolamon Fire Museum. Unfortunately, on receipt of the vehicle the manager of the museum and members of the local mens shed also saw it as a restoration beyond their means and the only consideration was to scrap it. It was offered to the association of ex-Nirimba personnel. I was an instructor at the base up to its closure in 1994 and felt that that it should have one more chance so I rescued it (actually, naval firefighters at HMAS Nirimba had tried to buy this unit in 1990 to use it in one of the charity bashes but were unsuccessful in its purchase). There is no guarantee that I will succeed but will, at least, give it a go (restoration). Unlike most I intend to restrict the level of restoration to getting it moving, stopping, and necessary body restoration (cabin is aluminium skinned, timber framed with the back all steel manufacture). Nearly the entire timber frame will need to be replaced (being a Chippie is an advantage as is having a mate who owns a vehicle restoration business - for advice). Mechanically it appears to be the AC4 engine (the Thornycroft Register suggested that it would be the Rolls Royce B40 but, looking at an Austin Champ B40 appears somewhat different) and has a Ford side valve V8 (circa 1937) as the power unit for the pump. The vehicle is in poor condition but I have seen other vehicle restorations that started out way worse than this. Images attached are of the unit at our place and one taken on the airfield when in use in 1957.

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Gryphon.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #198519 by Lang
Very interesting little truck. It would be a rare one at a show.
Thanks and welcome to the group.

With the photos you have to do another click after you down load them - press "Insert" and they will pop up full size on your post.

Lang
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Gryphon. Reason: Replaced Attach with Insert

More
5 years 2 months ago #198528 by Morris
Are you sure that is a Nubian? I know it is a Thornycroft Fire Tender but the only Nubians I have seen, including the two I have for sale are tandem drive with a non-driven front axle and Rolls Royce B80 straight eight.

Would you like to take mine off my hands?

Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
5 years 2 months ago #198531 by BillyP
.Here is a pic of a Nubian 6 wheel drive...……………….

Then as it is as converted to a motor home. ……………

Just for interest sake ....................
............................Billy................................

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Attachments:

More
5 years 2 months ago #198532 by Lang
Up until around 1960 nearly all Thornycroft Nubians were 4x4. They had a few 6 wheelers going back to the thirties.

Here is Ivan Southall's gallery.
ccmv.aecsouthall.co.uk/p46523350/h3CADAFCD#h37799b21

Here are some photos of Nubians

Attachments:

• BillyP
More
5 years 2 months ago #198533 by BillyP
.Here is a bit more on the camper...…
All work done by the owner..including the all automatic electric roof raising and wall opening camper set up...…….
he made free wheeling hubs for the front axle.
made an inter axle lock that was fitted to the front of the rear diff...….
It now has a Hino diesel engine...……….
The original water gun mounting now is fitted to the automatic satellite tracking dish...………..
This bloke is a genious …….the work involved has to be seen to be believed. ………………

www.caravancampingsales.com.au/editorial...ft-fire-truck-20597/

………………………….Billy...…………………..

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

More
5 years 2 months ago #198534 by Kelpie
looks good Billy Peee

Wunder how many gallons to the mile he gets??
:lol:
cya

More
5 years 2 months ago #198536 by JOHN.K.
The common 6x6 s are the ones sold by the DCA around 1980 period....with the RR motor...........the DCA also had some later ones which are mechanically completely different,and 1000% better.........but they were given to Pacific Island nations for their airports ,and in typical islander fashion dumped on local rubbish tips,and then complaints to the UN that Australia had given them old junk,not the lovely millions of dollars they actually wanted.........the later ones were called Nubian Majors,and were actually Mk 3 militants with 210 Cummins diesels,and all AEC running gear.

• Swishy
  • If U don't like my Driving .... well then get off the footpath ...... LOL
More
5 years 2 months ago #198537 by Swishy
Gremlins have hit
I replied @ 11:35

looks good Billy Peee

Wunder how many gallons to the mile he gets??
cya

and it has KELPIE name to the post

How n the F did th@ happen

OF ALL THE THINGS EYE MISS ................. EYE MISS MY MIND THE MOST

There's more WORTH in KENWORTH

• BillyP
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #198541 by BillyP
.Dont tell me there is a $wishy No 2. That will be interestin …...cya

(woof woof woof)

……………….Billy...……………..

Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by BillyP.

Time to create page: 0.599 seconds