Skip to main content

Wheel Rim Size ?

More
5 years 1 week ago #199532 by Morris
Replied by Morris on topic Wheel Rim Size ?
Hey Skipjack,
Many thanks for telling it like it is on USA wheels. It is very interesting and explains to me a lot of nthings I wanted to know about Bud wheels. Mates of mine have 'em. Does not apply to me, because the only North American truck I have is a 1929 Chevrolet with five stud, 20 inch wheels with just a car-type nut on each of the five studs.

I said the only North American truck. I do have English Morris and Thornycroft trucks. When I wanted to put tyres, they are 500 x 23 inch (Five inches tread width on a 23 inch wheel, remember this was made in 1927) on my 1927 Morris Commercial (you would call it a ten wheeler) I tried all over to get Freylube. The only stockists I could find were in either North and South America but none would ship to Australia. I gave up and got a handful of soap from my friendly tyre dealer. I wish I had been close enough to get something from you. My worry was that soap is water-soluble and I was worried it would rust my rims.

Morris.

I have my shoulder to the wheel,
my nose to the grindstone,
I've put my best foot forward,
I've put my back into it,
I'm gritting my teeth,

Now I find I can't do any work in this position!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 week ago #199534 by Skipjack
Replied by Skipjack on topic Wheel Rim Size ?
Dunno about Oz, Swishy, but in the US of A it's a definite Yes. On trucks the cap has to be steel or brass, and in the great state of Connecticut where the truck cops don't like to get dirty when they put you out of service, the cap has to have a red Buna N seal in it. There actually are such caps, they cost about four bucks apiece and they'll hold 300 pounds of air pressure. That was a long time ago, but it cost the company I was running for a bunch of money. They might have dropped that seal requirement in the years since.

Morris, Freylube is a non-petroleum lubricant, but I don't think it's soap based. If you're just lubing your fasteners and you haven't got alloy wheels, copper anti-seize compund is fine. For mounting tires, a thin smear on the rim edge and the tire beads takes a lot of the work out of mounting tires. On old multi-piece wheels Freylube is the absolute best for putting the wheels together. The stuff completely rustproofs everything.

I found this on the Freylube website:

We are actively seeking
potential distributors for our product lines in selected area on a
worldwide basis. Should you be interested in becoming a distributor we
encourage you to contact us at info at freylube dot com.

Maybe you could find a truck tire dealer who would stock it in Australia. It works on all sorts of assembly jobs. I've used it to lube airbags on suspensions and air seats, between the rails when fishplating a frame and on and on. The stuff does NOT wash out.

Good luck,

Mark
The following user(s) said Thank You: Morris

More
5 years 6 days ago #199536 by wee-allis
Replied by wee-allis on topic Wheel Rim Size ?
I don't know if it applies in other states, but here in NSW, no tyre on ANY vehicle can be over 7 years old, to be legal on the road. There is some other legislation which states 10 years. Hell I've got some tyres here where the air is over 10 years old.

I've had my C1300 for some 15 years now and the 7.50x16 rears it came with are hard enough to hold up with no air, but I very much doubt they would blow as I use it regularly with a tractor on the back and it sits on 85-90 and never shows any signs of tyre failure.

More
5 years 6 days ago - 5 years 6 days ago #199543 by cobbadog
Replied by cobbadog on topic Wheel Rim Size ?
Requirement or not, I like to have metal valve caps on all my tyres. It keeps the dust out and helps to maintain tyre pressure. Metal ones because they should have an "O" ring inside to help seal the valve from leaking.

As for 'aged' tyres, Lorry is going for his yearly "medical" for rego on Monday. He too has tyres well and truly over the supposed age limit. Mind you I will NOT bring this to his attention but one day I will fit some nice new ones on him as he has a pair of retreads on the off side rear. As he has only been racking up about 2500 klm per year it will take a while to wear them out.

Cheers Cobba & Cobbarette
Coopernook, The Centre of our Universe
Working on more play time.
Last edit: 5 years 6 days ago by cobbadog.

Time to create page: 0.479 seconds