Skip to main content

New Process NP542 D transmission

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #199905 by Dave_64
Hi All,
Having a bit of a tinker around with a few ratio charts and came up with the following for NP542 D trans
Ist.....6.15:1
2nd...3.30:1
3rd...1.86:1
4th...1.17:1
5th... 1.oo1
Often see the 5 speed DIRECT (non overdrive) versions for sale, most seem to be either out of Dodge or Inter, not quite so common are Ford, G.M. and even Studebaker. Went for quite a long period of time.
With the extrememly close ratios of 5th (Dir) and 4th (1.17:1) and then an ever widening gap between the rest. makes me think that this particular transmission would have possibly be used mostly in front of a two-speed axle. Would maybe also have been a bit out of the ordinary shift pattern, e.g 5th back to 4th, then 5th lo to 4th lo, so sort of going out of the ordinary sequence.
I have been told that this transmission would most probably have been used behind the Perkins engine (6:354??) in single axle guise, but as yet am unable to confirm this.
In their day, the NP541 and NP542 must have been OK for the job required of them, seem to have made thousands of them, but also a bit confusing is the many different ratios they came out with.
Some of the wider ratio models may have also been used behind the 3 speed Spicer Auxilliary boxes, but my charts dont define which model main transmissions are so designated.
Must be still heaps of these 5 speed DIRECT boxes still kicking around, getting the right ratio may be a bit more testing.
Often seen blokes looking for the Dodge/Inter NP540 541-542 series in OVERDRIVE version, but probably getting scarce nowadays.
Any thoughts, anyone??
Dave_64
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Dave_64.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
4 years 11 months ago #199910 by Sarge
Dave is the inter T34 the same thing? My mighty 1967 perk ACCO has one, overdrive, with the oddball shift patern and 2 speed. Low 4 to low 5, high 4 then high 5, not a lot between one of those changes. Low 5 high 4.
I understood this was a standard off the shelf offering, though my truck was upgraded to this in 1970.
As it stands 100 kph is easily doable, 110 on the freeway with the help of the gods and gravity .

Sarge B)
ACCO Owner, Atkinson dreamer.

More
4 years 11 months ago #199913 by overnite
In the late 70s I drove a Leyland Mastiff single drive and bogie float with a V8 Perkins with the same arse up splits in the top two gears. I think it may have been a six speed though. It’s been a while, although I haven’t forgotten how gutless it was with a 25 ton digger or the D5 Cat on the back.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Southbound

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #199918 by Dave_64
Sarge, going around to a mates place tomorrow, has a 5 speed DIRECT box in his shed came from behind the 345 V8 Inter, but he seems to recall it had the cast iron shift housing. If so, could maybe make it either a Clarke or a Warner Gear. I’ll be able to suss it out when I see it as most or nearly all New Process boxes I have had anything to do with, had an alloy shift housing. The bloke I spoke to tonight who has the box in his shed, is pretty sure the vehicle it came out of, a C-line Inter had a two speed rear end on 20” wheels, but the vehicle it was originally intending to go into had a two speed on 17” duals. I don’t know enough about either Inters or Dodge mid range trucks to pin down actual models, get a better idea when I see it tomorrow, will take a few photos to post, may give a better idea. About the only thing we can confirm is that it had the large diameter coarse spline input shaft, which may mean a 13” clutch and that it had a large diameter handbrake assembled on the output shaft. Trouble is, they seemed to use many combinations of input/output shafts as well as many varying ratios. Hopefully it may still have the tags on it, have found that casting numbers do not necessarily identify them. With regard to how Inter designated their boxes, be they T34 or T35, again I’m not sure. I have an old 4 speed which Inter call the T17, but in reality is a NP435, yet their T18 is the same box as the Warner Gears T18. Can be confusing sometimes. Dave
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Dave_64.

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #199920 by hayseed

Sarge :-X wrote: Low 4 to low 5, high 4 then high 5, not a lot between one of those changes. Low 5 high 4.

Many years ago I had a Ford LN7000 with a (I think) Turner 5 speed box with that Oddball Shift pattern...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by hayseed.

More
4 years 11 months ago #199922 by Bluey60
Hi all
My 560f Austin diesel has a five speed overdrive fourth around the corner from third and fifth straight ahead fourth low fifth low fourth high fifth high
Not worth trying to split that lot when it sees a hill combing just save effort drop the button in fifth then let it die and grab third high
Doesn’t take much to make it die either
Bluey

More
4 years 11 months ago #199924 by Lang
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave_64

• BillyP
  • I wish i could remember all the things i have forgotten...
More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #199925 by BillyP
.At Liquid Cartage in the early days the chiefs were in love with 2 speed diffs and Page & Page pushers.....
Cannot recall about the S Models, but the cab overs had a five speed ( Fuller ?) direct box with that strange shift
pattern, split up to 3rd high, then 4th low, 5th low then 4th high, 5th high .
maybe it gave a closer ratio on the two top slots, ( I just don't remember ).
Some of the shift patterns around are what one would call a little strange one might say …………….
…………………….Billy...………………..

I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING & STILL HAVE MOST OF IT.........................

I used to be a truck driver,
but i am now not a truck driver ,
on a good day i can remember
that i used to be a truck driver.
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by BillyP.

More
4 years 11 months ago #199926 by Lang
If you want weird the WW2 GMC 6x6 is a contender.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyP, Dave_64

More
4 years 11 months ago #199940 by Lang
You can buy this sticker to put on your dash.

Nobody will ever steal your truck and the other blokes will think you are a genius.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cobbadog

Time to create page: 0.529 seconds