Skip to main content

New Process NP542 D transmission

More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #199941 by Lang
At last the problem solved. What happens if they change cars.

Would you hire a driver who needed this?

I absolutely love this one. Can't see it yourself but the missus sitting beside you can now backseat drive and critique every gear change.

Attachments:
Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by Lang.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #199942 by Dave_64
OK, spent the best part of the morning checking out that box in my mates garage. Not much wiser EXCEPT, NOT a New Process 5 speed.
Firstly, has the cast iron shift tower housing, case itself only has an IH 3 on the drivers side.
Shift tower has the following casting #, 1 G
8 25 1
335861-C2

Input shaft of 10 spline X one and a quarter inch, pilot tip of 15/16" diameter. Stickout length from face of trans to end of tip 9&1/4"
Ratios are pretty close to these, marking input/output shaft rotations with chalk,
1st...7.1:1 2nd...4.1:1 3rd...2.3:1.....4th....1.4:1.....5th...1.00:1 REV...7.1:1

Ratio chart is getting extrememely close to what Inter calls the T35 or the T495. I can't tell them apart, other than at some stage Inter started making their own boxes.
So, who made this particular transmission?? I am leaning towards Warner Gear (Borg Warner). Still don't know what size truck it came out of, other than from behind a V8. Has a large bellhousing which would accomodate the 13" clutch and has a huge enclosed brake drum on the output of the transmission, probably about 10-12" in O.D.
Quite a large heavy box, wouldn't like to be trying to manhandle it from the floor into position. Makes a NP435 or even the NP445 puny by comparison.
Get a lot of conflicting info on o/seas forums, some say they were rated at 300ft/lbs torque, others say they will handle anything up to the Cummins 6BT. Again conflicting reports on how they shifted, some guys like them, some say like moving solidified porridge.
General consensus seems to say they are quite a common garden variety box, ample for mid range trucks, secret was that you had to run correct grade of oil. Could have been used with either single or two speed axles.
And thats about all I can add at this stage. Would be handy to know just who did manufacture these boxes.
Clark could have also may have been an optional manufacturer?? Although I have an idea they became part of the Eaton-Fuller group??
Dave
Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by Dave_64.

More
5 years 1 week ago #199944 by JOHN.K.
Clark became part of Volvo in the GM buyout...........and was closed down a few years later.........I have never seen a Clark box fitted to an IH.............incidentally,all the pommy Turner boxes were licence built Clarks,and NBG compared to the yanky Clarks........then Spicer bought out Turner,after a while discovered everything Turner turned out was NBG,and it was closed,probably as part of the giant parts swaps between Dana and Eaton.......which was pretty hard to understand........unless you are up with yanky corporate antics and asset stripping.

More
5 years 1 week ago #199945 by JOHN.K.
#335861C2.......housing,shifter bar.....fits IH T34/35/36.............ex C1820 /w 345 V8......T35 or T36......one of them had wider ratios to suit a 2sp axle,forgotten which.

More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #199950 by Dave_64
So, if NOT Clark, then who did make the T35/T36 for inter? Eaton? Fuller? Or Warner Gear( Borg Warner)? Dana (Spicer)?

More
5 years 1 week ago #199952 by mackme
Turner?

More
5 years 1 week ago #199953 by Dave_64
Pretty sure NOT Turner, saw one this morning, (out of a TK Bedford),has a different hexagonal shaped shift tower cover.

More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #199954 by Lang
Can you recognise any of these?
truckpartsinventory.com/transmission-ass...ernational-t35-parts

More Info
The t-34 is a close ratio 5-speed that is a nice trans, I have one in a '71 travelette. It's driven like a 4 speed with the granny low when needed. There is a u shaped shift from 1st to 2nd.

The t-35 is a wide ratio box that will work best with a 2 speed rear axle.

The t-36 is an od trans with u shaped shifts between 1st, 2nd and 3rd, 4th. 5th was toward the dash.

All three of these transmissions have been in various IH vehicles I've had in the past. They all have straight cut gears with syncros on 2nd - 4th that are noisy but strong.

More leads
sctruckspares.com.au/cc5/transmissions/t...ssion-eaton-t35.html

And more
www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?th...ng-questions.124821/
Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by Lang.

More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #199955 by Dave_64
Lang,
had a look at a few of those sites, 2nd one looks a bit like it except lot later variation, ad says both Fuller and Eaton (I know they are one and the same) but looks like that version came from a remote control setup as it's laying on it's side.
John K mentioned that to the best of his knowledge, Inter never used Clark, but as he added also, there was some sort of trade off which also involved Spicer.
So, still at a bit of a loss as most Inter forums don't specify just who made components for them, other than to say that at some stage Inter made the T series transmissions (T34-35-36) in house for some years before off-selling them again.
So just maybe, Inter wants a 5 speed mid range truck box, buys or takes over Clark, calls it the Inter T34-5-6, runs with it for a few years and then sells it off again, sold to Dana, who in then some convoluted swap, ends up with Eaton-Fuller. Who knows, half the time with these corporations, you don't know just who is porking whom.
Those "Binder" forums have plenty of references, but only to the designated series, no mention of who the original manufacturer is or was.
Worked for a bloke many years ago where we had to do up a 4070 Transtar, had what we at first assumed was a garden variety 38000lb SQHD on Hendrickson. NOT so! Centres and axles may have been the same, but different bearings, seals brake parts etc etc. Became a real pain as we could only get bits through IH.
Dave

More
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #199956 by Blackduck59
Thought the OD trans was a T34.
Little bit of odd ball info
www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?th...transmissions.57961/

Post 15 deals with the date stamp on the shift cover, by the numbers it would appear to be a t34/35/36 or earlier
www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?th...nsmission-id.111654/

Cheers Steve
Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by Blackduck59. Reason: Update

Time to create page: 0.478 seconds